3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2010 Dakota Bighorn wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Kodyowner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2010 Dakota Bighorn wiring

OK, experts - I need your advise. I've got a 2010 Dodge Dakota Bighorn, 4.7, auto, extended cab. Doesn't use a transponder key, doesn't have an alarm system. I'm trying to install a remote starter kit. I've put these kits in my 94 and 95 Dakotas without any problems - but those years had factory service manuals that are books published for each model year that old guys like me can hold in their hands. The only factory service manuals that I can find for this Dakota are on CDs (that aren't compatible with my limited computer skills or my trifocals) and are for 2008 through 2011 Dakotas. I researched the wiring diagrams, and watched utube videos, then started playing electrician. Everything was going well until the last wire. Wiring diagram 8W-13-22 shows a pink/light blue wire running from the ignition switch "start" contact to the starter relay coil. But this Dakota doesn't have any pink/light blue wires in any of the connectors, splices, or bundles shown on the diagrams. Probing and reading each wire in the ignition switch bundle didn't show any of the wires getting 12VDC+ when the ignition switch is in the start position. I suspect that this "one size fits all" CD isn't correct, but I can't find anything that is specific to my 2010 Dakota.. I can find diagrams for 2010 Rams and Durangos - but not Dakotas. HELP!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Is this the same diagram? This is from the 2005 FSM.
I'm no expert on remote starter installations.

lTxeon9.png

Last edited by dakotaff; 12-10-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Hesselhoff
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Typically you need to wire the starter into a bypass module that has been programmed for the vehicle. The installation of the module will be different than wiring the starter. Your key still has a chip in it and will shut down in ten seconds if it doesn't receive the signal. There should be a post somewhere around here that has all the equipment and how to wire it.
Also some wiring guides for these products may help.
http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/files.html

Old 12-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Kodyowner

Thanks.
That is the same diagram that I was using.
This is a strange pickup. I bought it when it was 10 years old but only had 23000 miles. Carfax came back clean, but the only history was oil changes every 3000 miles. The pickup came with only one key, so I took it to the local locksmith. He put the key into his programming box but the box said that there wasn’t any chip in the key. So he cut one of the flat metal keys, and the pickup starts and runs just like it does with the original key. I wonder if this pickup was part of a fleet buy from the factory.
Anyway, a bypass module works on “chip” vehicles that need transponder keys. This pickup obviously doesn’t care about needing a chip, so I doubt if having a bypass module would solve the problem.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Hesselhoff
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The entire thing is computer controlled and might need a digital signal to start the vehicle. That's what the bypass module would be for. I haven't been able to wire a starter into a vehicle without one for some time.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Kodyowner

Thanks again.
More investigation is required I guess.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out the rerote start kits from Fortin.ca They have a nearly plug and play setup that even uses the factory remote. Just press the lock button three times and it starts.

I put one on my 2011 Dakota probably six years back and has worked flawlessly since install. I think the install took about 45 minutes. Very straight forward.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Kodyowner

Remember how things were much simpler before computers?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodyowner
Remember how things were much simpler before computers?
And less efficient, and more finicky, and heavier. For instance, I remember my father adjusting carburetors 4 or 5 times per year just so that cars would run correctly. I can't imagine most of my neighbours understanding where a carburetor might be located, let alone how one might be adjusted. They don't even know how to swap summer tires to winter tires.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Kodyowner

Yup, being a car guy in the 50s and 60s (and a car kid in the 40s) meant a lot more “hands on” to keep those cranky things running. And there wasn’t automatic anything, so we actually had to drive (ie- use our feet to push the starter and push the clutch, our hands to steer, shift gears, and signal turns, and our eyes to know when to do those things). No self driving cars then. No texting and driving. No check engine lights, no emission controls, no gridlock, and gas was 11 cents per gallon. We had to change points and plugs often, but they were easy to get to. This Dakota has 16 spark plugs you have to dismantle half the engine to find them all. Ah, green acres is the place for me........

Quick Reply: 2010 Dakota Bighorn wiring