DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   2008-2011 4.7 dual plug engine valve seats? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/421398-2008-2011-4-7-dual-plug-engine-valve-seats.html)

Jetmech7 02-10-2019 05:07 PM

2008-2011 4.7 dual plug engine valve seats?

Hello all. (Moderators, this is a general Tech question, so I'm posting here. Hope it's the right place).

This is my first post and I need some specific information that I couldn't find elsewhere. First, some quick background on me. I am a retired Part 121 (commercial jet) A&P mechanic. I've tried to keep up with how to diagnoise & repair all these "modern" engines. I possess OBD2 scanners. I've also done several of engine & auto trans overhauls. I never trade a vehicle unless I get a lemon. My last truck was a 1995 Ford F-250 with a 7.5 (460 Cu In) that I just recently parted with. I keep them till they're ready to go to that Great Junkyard in the Sky. My other vehicles are a Toyota Avalon that's ready to cash it in, and my wife's 2006 Stratus with only 55,000 on the clock.

This June, I'll start getting my last retirement income and I'll be treating myself to another PU that I hope to keep for at least 15 years. I've already started doing "tons" of research on what to get and it seems that it all boils down to this last generation of 2008 to 2011 Dakota's since there are still numerous ones out there with under 50,000 miles. Lots of reasons I settled on this, but lets just say I can't afford an extra $8-10K for a Tacoma just to have the frame rust out under it and nothing else impresses me. The Dakota will be a 2 WD Crew Cab with a 4.7 auto trans. I'll be using it as my daily driver and occasionally to pull my 16 ft box trailer. Possibly a small camper. I always keep it well under the combined gross vehicle weight rating.

So here's what I need information on. It seems that dropped valve seats isn't just a matter of if, but when it will happen. I know it seems to happen generally after an overheat, but not always. Do any of you have any "definative" info on whether FCA made improvements on these dual plug heads concerning this? Also, would going to a lower temp thermostat help prevent this? BTW, I haven't been able to find a 180 degree t-stat so if this is a good idea, tell me where I can get one. IF, improvements weren't done, would pulling the heads at around 100K and sending them off to someone like Southeast Heads in Florida to be rebuilt with new seats be a good idea? Last, do these Dakota's have that infernal TIPM? I don't see where any of the TIPM rebuilders list one for these trucks. Sorry this was so long. Thanks all for your input. Really appreciated.

rodslinger 02-10-2019 10:03 PM

I'm at 100k now on my 2011 with the 4.7 and pulling the heads for maintenance isn't even a consideration. I've had several of these go 250k miles with nothing more than regular maintenance and batteries.

Don't overheat it and it will probably never be an issue.

djsilverjohnson 02-10-2019 10:10 PM

I don't know about "TIPM" but the Dakota has something called an FCM (front control module) that's mounted on the fuse box under the hood and controls a lot of the vehicle.(lights, locks, etc)

Jetmech7 02-10-2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson (Post 3428919)
I don't know about "TIPM" but the Dakota has something called an FCM (front control module) that's mounted on the fuse box under the hood and controls a lot of the vehicle.(lights, locks, etc)

Ok, wasn't familiar with the FCM, but it appears to do the same thing as the TIPM (Totally Intergrated Power Module). Thanks..........

pilotsmack 02-11-2019 01:13 AM

Jet-mech, Jet -breaker here, Rock Auto has 180 stats, but they seem to come and go in waves. I got mine over the summer from them. My temps have been much more consistent since I put fresh plugs in. As others state, most of my research on dropped seats comes from neglect and overheating and more neglect.

And yeah, more acronyms that we love - the "Fuse Box" is the Power Distribution Center, attached to the aft of it is the Front Control Module. IPM is when the 2 are combined. Think TIPM was a 1500 thing.... Tomato, Potato.

edit: Looks like RA has em back in stock.

Jetmech7 02-12-2019 09:27 PM

Found answer

I just found a machine shop that informed me that Dodge dumped the powdered metal seats in 2009 and went with a different seat. He felt that this change corrected the problem of seats dropping at random. I'm sure all bets are still off in case of a bad overheat condition. Thanks all for the replies..........