3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My 2005 Dakota has got me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Mehitable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2005 Dakota has got me stumped

2 nights ago, after leaving 2 stores in my truck, I drove a half mile down the road and my engine died. I pulled over, tried to restart it, all it did was try turn over. Someone stopped and listened for my fuel pump, no sound. A friend came over yesterday and heard nothing there either. Fuel pump fuse is good and the relay clicks. Ether in the throttle body starts it and then it stalls back out. Soooo I changed the fuel pump. It did not help. It still just turns over. We checked the wire connections under the fuse box, and those in the drivers side wheel well, behind the fender...but we are at a loss...oh yeah, we checked the old pump with12 volts, and it still works.
Any Ideas?

Last edited by Mehitable; 04-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Are you getting power back to the pump? Does the pump run? Have you tried swapping the relay?

Moving this to third gen Dak for ya.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

I'm not a mechanic but sometimes I have issues with my chainsaws, wood splitter and tractor that are similar where they start and die that are usually airway related (clogged air filter, critter nest in exhaust, ...). Just a simple thought to check, not just your filter but the whole intake and exhaust system for clogs. If nothing obvious found (like a critter nest under your air filter) I'd confirm your throttle body is working right. Then maybe look at catalytic converter since it could clog up I think pretty easy with age and rust?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you getting power back to the pump? Does the pump run? Have you tried swapping the relay?

Moving this to third gen Dak for ya.
absolutley check to see if your getting power back to the pump. Your last one may have still been fine.
How about checking fuel pressure at the rail with a pressure gauge. Not sure how easy/difficult these trucks are to test pressure.
If you have a new pump in there and no pressure, I’d be looking at wiring.

Quick Reply: My 2005 Dakota has got me stumped