3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

06 Dakota Transmission error codes

Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 PM
stevanmyers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 Dakota Transmission error codes

Hi y'all,

Yesterday I had some problems with my 2006 Dodge Dakota v6 shifting gears. The check engine light came on but was working fine for most the day before I noticed any problems. Half way through the day the check engine light even went away, that is until I had to drive home. Everything was working fine when I shift between park, reverse, and drive. But when I started driving I noticed it wasn't shifting gears. RPMs were going really high and speed was slower than normal. Seems to be happening when it starts to heat up. This problem happened yesterday after driving a few miles but today when I started driving it to the auto part store to check the engine codes it was shifting fine. These are the engine error codes I have:
P0731 - Gear 1 incorrect ratio
P1790 - Malfunction immediately after shift
P0750 - Shift Solenoid A Malfunction
and
P0700 - Transmission control system (Malfunction indicator lamp request)

After checking out my fluids and looking underneath the truck for leaks I noticed my transmission fluid is over the full line when cold. No major leaks, just a little build up of motor oil, no leaks on the tranny. I got my transmission fluid flushed at around 100k miles and I am now a little over 125k. I am going to drain out a little fluid just to see if that helps. I'll get it into a transmission shop soon but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend.

Has anybody had any problems like this before or some suggestions?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A transmission "flush" isn't necessarily a good thing...can do more harm than good by sending particles backwards into places they shouldn't be.

If it was done at a non-OEM shop and they used an aftermarket fluid filter, I would first have the filter replaced with OEM *only*...These transmissions have been known to be finicky after installation of an aftermarket filter. If you are going to be taking it into a non-OEM shop, I would first pick up an OEM filter through a dealer or other official source, and then have that filter installed instead of another aftermarket filter. Then reset the PCM/TCM by removing the negative cable from the battery overnight, and letting the transmission "re-learn" itself for about a week of normal driving (may feel like it's shifting "weird" for that week while it "re-learns" the clutch tolerances from 13 years of wear & tear).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Dakota Transmission error codes