3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

intakes and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
WorrGames
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intakes and mileage

Ive heard people say that having a good air intake would improve mileage, thats cold air im guessing. But I was wondering how would it actually improve gas mileage, when its initially sucking in more air?

Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Default RE: intakes and mileage

Well theoretically.....if it makes more power then you wouldn't need as much gas to get the truck going. Basically the engine is working less to get the air in.

BUT....when people get a Cold Air Intake and notice a difference in power....they usually drive the truck harder which uses more gas....lol

So if you babied it, yes you would get better mileage with a intake

Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Drakkon
Professional

After i got my airaid intake i noticed the sound and like snobrdrdan said...lay it on the gas a little bit more did one 500 mile stretch of driving being really friendly to it though and noticed the milage went up maybe 1-1.5mpg(s) but this was all city driving. I'm still trying to compile some good data and figure out a real figure to give you guys one of these days but right now having too much fun

The biggest difference i noticed was putting a Tonneau cover on the back, highway driving got a definate couple extra mpg this summer when i was driving 300 miles a weekend.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 AM
WorrGames
Professional

Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense. My friend was telling me I should get a cover for the back, so I think I will. How big is the sound difference with an aftermarket intake vs. the stock filter?

Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Drakkon
Professional

the sound inside the cabin is completely different. It sounds like a v8 with a bit of a grumble at higher RPM's

you can try this video to hear : http://images.drakkon.net/userfiles/...rs/Trcuk01.wmv

Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here with the sound. Ever since I put my Air Raid in, I love the sound and lay on it quite a bit more than I used to. On the high way though, I get pretty good mileage. I can drive a round trip from Vancouver, WA to Seattle and have a 1/4 of a tank left.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:22 PM
WorrGames
Professional

heh alright thats cool. The vid drakkon is cool, I do like the sound. Yeah, so many things to do to the dak, I cant wait.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

If you're looking for a little bit better mileage & drive on the freeway a lot (or even sometimes), then get a tonneau cover

I got mine from here:
http://performance.speedycarparts.co...61&brandid=304

It's an Extang, and it's snapless. I thinks it's the Saber model. AWESOME quality...I highly recommend Extang!

That website also has FREE SHIPPING. I paid only like $190 or $200 for mine though because they had a sale way back in October though.

Intake & exhaust are the major "bolt ons" for these truck to give you some extra power, but not super expensive either.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Drakkon
Professional

i got my Extang Trifecta (tri fold tonno) from http://www.autoanything.com for $316 and been worth every penny.
they always have sales and 10-25$ off coupons and free shipping too
I second the highly recommended Extang comment

I'm looking into getting an exaust setup but unfortuantely dont have a good time to take it to a shop to get it done maybe someday soon

Quick Reply: intakes and mileage