3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How to connect iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 AM
mrhines1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to connect iPod?

I'm leasing an '06 Dakota Quad Cab SLT and am wondering what some options are for connecting my iPod. Unfortunately I couldn't get one of the newer ones with the aux jack on the radio.

Thank you for any help!

Old 01-28-2006, 01:39 PM
cjwr
Professional
Default RE: How to connect iPod?

buy an FM transmiter for the ipod, i have an 05 dakota, and this system works very well

Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Drakkon
Professional

FM Transmitters work great so long as there isnt a station in your area brodcasting on 88.3-88.7 (like in my area)
In that case you can get an FM modulator that goes inline with the antenna, its a bit more costly, but produces better overall quality imho

example: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4XGRsEN...d&i=142FMMOD01

Old 01-29-2006, 12:49 AM
mrhines1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried an FM transmitter before and it was too hit or miss.

I think I'll have to go the FM modulater route. Did you do yours yourself? If so, which one did you get and was it difficult? I'm somewhat hesitant to do it myself because I've replaced a radio in a previous vehicle but then there was a rattling noise in the dash afterwards.

Also, is there an aux input on the back of the radio? If so, does that just add one more option when you are selecting the mode on the radio? That would be the easiest because you could just run a wire straight to the iPod.

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2006, 03:36 AM
Drakkon
Professional

Ohkay lot of questions there so going to answer ones i know first

There is no aux input on the back of my radios. I had the standard model (single disk reg cd player) then upgraded to the 6 disc mp3 model and neither had aux inputs. So there is no easy aux mode to connect up as far as i can tell.

Second for the Modulated route there is that scoche adapter i linked to which is the msot straightforward then there are other models out there that all do the same thing prettumyc, add an inline aux input that connects into the antenna then you play station 88.5 and the aux input comes through, anyways there not that hard to install. Its just a matter of getting the bezel off (two screws at bottom underneath the cig lighter) it just pops up, but be carful around the air vents. Them there are 4 screws holding the radio in and its just a matter of taking those out and then pulling the radio out (Again being careful not to yank any cords. The antenna is in the back, you just put it inline with that (might either velcro or electrical tape it to a sidebar or something to reduce the risk of possible rattle that you speak of) and then run the RCA's back behind the dashboard and then out wherever you want to put your ipod (i put mine in the cupholder :P) make sure everything works then put everything back together in reverse order making sure everything is snug.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
mrhines1

Thanks Drakkon!

Sounds pretty simple now that you've explained it.

Is there a switch to turn the modulater on and off? For example, if 88.5 is a real station and I want to listen between that and my iPod. Or are there a couple of options as far as what frequency the modulater works on?

One more question though as I've never installed an FM modulater...

Does it splice into the antenna wire or does it just connect to the stereo in the same location (meaning two wires in the same spot)?

Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Drakkon
Professional

the modulator usually operates on a couple of channels so you have a selection of like 3-4 channels there if there is a station you dont overlap it. Like the one i posted says it works on 2 channels 87.9 or 88.3.
The one i posted doesnt require splicing on the antenna but does require spling of 12V and ground, then acts like an inline sort of thing where your old antenna plugs into it and then it plugs into the radio antenna jack. Just have to make sure you have the proper antenna adapters (it mentions female/male motorola so make sure the dodge antenna to yours work out right).
The one i posted does have an on off switch included which you can bring out but might require some cutting to make integrate somewhere. If you leave it on it can distort local radio stations so its nice to have the on/off switch.
Overall I'd say look at the crutchfield page and the reviews and see what all its taken some people and what you get and what your getting yourself into. Its not that difficult but if you've never done any wiring before it'll be an adeventure

Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
igneous
Amateur

I think this product would work, I just don't have the money to spend 69 bucks on it and risk it not working. http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...hry02-aux.html

Quick Reply: How to connect iPod?