3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Axel Drive Shaft Pinion Seal Leak?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Dakota Chris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axel Drive Shaft Pinion Seal Leak?

Hi guys,

just wondering if any of you had this problem. My 2005 Dakota has only 14000km/9000mi on it (mostly Hwy) and I had to have the pionion seal replaced. Was this just a bad part or do more people have this problem. On a second note, at the same time I had the front tie rod end replaced as well (no off-road, just Hwy driving). Are those issus with the Dakota in general or am I just a lucky guy with a Monday truck?

Dakota Chris

Old 11-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Airborne82
Default RE: Rear Axel Drive Shaft Pinion Seal Leak?

ORIGINAL: Dakota Chris

Hi guys,

just wondering if any of you had this problem. My 2005 Dakota has only 14000km/9000mi on it (mostly Hwy) and I had to have the pionion seal replaced. Was this just a bad part or do more people have this problem. On a second note, at the same time I had the front tie rod end replaced as well (no off-road, just Hwy driving). Are those issus with the Dakota in general or am I just a lucky guy with a Monday truck?

Dakota Chris
I just had my rear pinion seal replaced about 2 weeks ago. Mine was leaking also.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:41 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

ORIGINAL: Dakota Chris

Hi guys,

Dakota Chris
How did you knwo it was time to bring the truck in? What were the symptoms?

Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Dakota Chris

Hi RonnusTwo,

it was easy to spot the bell for the axle where the driveshaft enters was sprayed with oil. It looked like somebody had taken WD40 and sprayed there. This area is normally dry without any oil film. Just check a new truck in a dealer lot and you will see.

Hope that helps.

Dakota Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axel Drive Shaft Pinion Seal Leak?