IPod and Mediacenter 430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmark27
I apologize, I'm a bit confused now by this, please clarify:

My build date is 11/11 on my 2012 Durango Crew with 430 RBZ stereo. It reads that I have version is 33.00.41, which is out of date and should be 33.01.23 according to DodgeCares. It is unclear to me whether my Uconnect module also needs an update, how do I determine this? My courses of action should be:

A) go to a dealer and request #68197238AA Update Disc (version 33.01.23)

B) is the software located here the appropriate 33.01.23 that I need?: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-and-faqs.html under the Media Center 430 (RBZ)

C) do I need to upgrade this Uconnect software for USB memory keys listed on that page too?

There is no documentation that accompanies those files so its impossible to know what version they actually contain.

Finally, Xsdbs, you say that the SGS3 phone recognizes the MAP but the sending gets screwed up. Can you point me to the evidence that would suggest this? Is there some way I can monitor this failed SMS through MAP send? I attempted to send you a PM but I don't think it worked from my phone like I hoped.

Mark,

As far as updates and TSB's go, I would suggest that if you are having no issues with the current version your radio has installed then do nothing. If you are having an issue as described in the TSB then you should let the dealer know the problems you are experiencing and they can install the latest version which will hopefully eliminate the issue.

When it comes to a way to monitor failed SMS through MAP I will defer to Xsdbs as he is much more knowledgeable than I with regards to that.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
ankitjuthani
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
The "TSB#" refers to the Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin that is sent out to the Dealers Service dept. It is used by techs. You won't find it on the radio menu.
So how do I know if this update is meant for my truck or not. Based on the updates listed in the new update, I would like to do that with my system.

Please advise.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to help the confusion, ok.
1) You will need to request the CD that Dodge Cares mentioned. The update in the link that you provided appears to be an older version.
2) Being that the vehicle was built in 11/11 then you have the V1 SW in the Uconnect module and will want to update it for added enhancements. You don't want to use the update for Uconnect that is in the link either. It doesn't add the enhancements.
3) Your current SW in the Uconnect module is the same as the V2 SW for the 2011 vehicles. If you go to the dealer to have them do the radio update then they can also do the Uconnect update. (TSB 08-018-12).
4) Your current Uconnect SW supports SMS using "AT" commands which most newer phones doesn't support. They have started going to the newer "MAP" (message access profile) which is also supported by Uconnect (with radios: RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB). The problem is that the BT specs aren't tightly regulated and leave the interpretation of the profile open ended. Some engineers will try to make it work one way and some a different way. The problem is that their little spin of it may not be the same as another engineers. The Uconnect SW is written according to the BTSIG specs and SMS does work correctly with phones that also follow those specs. There are phones that work well with SMS and some that can receive messages but not send. The GIII happens to be one that fails when trying to send a message.

I apologize, I'm a bit confused now by this, please clarify:

My build date is 11/11 on my 2012 Durango Crew with 430 RBZ stereo. It reads that I have version is 33.00.41, which is out of date and should be 33.01.23 according to DodgeCares. It is unclear to me whether my Uconnect module also needs an update, how do I determine this? My courses of action should be:

A) go to a dealer and request #68197238AA Update Disc (version 33.01.23)

B) is the software located here the appropriate 33.01.23 that I need?: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-and-faqs.html under the Media Center 430 (RBZ)

C) do I need to upgrade this Uconnect software for USB memory keys listed on that page too?

There is no documentation that accompanies those files so its impossible to know what version they actually contain.

Finally, Xsdbs, you say that the SGS3 phone recognizes the MAP but the sending gets screwed up. Can you point me to the evidence that would suggest this? Is there some way I can monitor this failed SMS through MAP send? I attempted to send you a PM but I don't think it worked from my phone like I hoped.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
xsdbs
Captain

You have a 2011 vehicle, updates will be based upon the build date. If it was built prior to 6-1-2011, then you will probably have issues with reading an iPod or iPhone using the docking cable, if you are trying to stream audio thru BT, then it probably sounds like Alvin & the Chipmunks. Having these issues you'd want to perform TSP # 08-019-12. This is the same Uconnect SW update as was out last year (TSB 08-036-11 rev A). After that is done and if you're not pleased with the sound quality when streaming music, then you'll want to perform the update file that I have posted for that issue.
If the vehicle was built after 6-1-2011, then you'll have the SW version that would have already been updated as mentioned above, however, you can actually add some enhancements to your system (BT sound quality, MAP, better VR recognition etc) by having TSB 08-018-12 done.

Originally Posted by ankitjuthani
So how do I know if this update is meant for my truck or not. Based on the updates listed in the new update, I would like to do that with my system.

Please advise.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
mmark27
Rookie

I'll try to help the confusion, ok.
Sir, thank you very much. that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I am more looking forward to the Uconnect reading my messages to me, not so much in sending them. Google Now on the S3 pretty much does that hands free as it is.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:33 PM
mmark27
Rookie

Well, set up my service for today. Called last week and gave them the TSB numbers to ensure that they had the materials, the service writer copied them down, then put me on hold. Came back 30 seconds later and said he had all the materials. Lo and behold, I get a call today about 2 hours after I dropped it off saying, "yeah, it'll take a week to get that update DVD." Then they couldn't answer anything about the Uconnect software update. It had not been completed and he had no idea if they had those materials. He also admitted they never checked on the materials when I called in. So in one week, I get to do this all over again, most likely.

Is incompetence this rampant at other dealerships as well? I assume so. I don't recommend them for service and I don't appreciate being lied to. I also don't have many choices for dealerships in my area either. I'm not sure why Dodge has the model of "visit a dealer" for software updates. That doesn't make any sense if the consumer is who they are trying to help. Just make the software available for the people that spend the tens of thousands of dollars on your vehicles. Oh well, that's life. sorry for the rant.

Last edited by mmark27; 12-15-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Lovely,
Did they at least finally get the Uconnect update done? I'll look into the disc for you.

Well, set up my service for today. Called last week and gave them the TSB numbers to ensure that they had the materials, the service writer copied them down, then put me on hold. Came back 30 seconds later and said he had all the materials. Lo and behold, I get a call today about 2 hours after I dropped it off saying, "yeah, it'll take a week to get that update DVD." Then they couldn't answer anything about the Uconnect software update. It had not been completed and he had no idea if they had those materials. He also admitted they never checked on the materials when I called in. So in one week, I get to do this all over again, most likely.

Is incompetence this rampant at other dealerships as well? I assume so. This was Don Miller Dodge in Madison, WI. I don't recommend them for service and I don't appreciate being lied to. I also don't have many choices for dealerships in my area either. I'm not sure why Dodge has the model of "visit a dealer" for software updates. That doesn't make any sense if the consumer is who they are trying to help. Just make the software available for the people that spend the tens of thousands of dollars on your vehicles. Oh well, that's life. sorry for the rant.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
mmark27
Rookie

Lovely,
Did they at least finally get the Uconnect update done? I'll look into the disc for you.
He said that the tech closed the ticket and stopped working on the vehicle after he discovered he had to order a disc. They didn't complete the Uconnect update at this point. I'll have to double check they even have it after I talk with them next week. Frustrating waste of car jockeying and using favors to get rides, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
xsdbs
Captain

What seems quite strange is that this tsb (08-057-12 was released on October 11, 2012 and the dealer says he doesn't have the update disc. How crazy is that? He's looking at free money from Chrysler where he doesn't have to sell anything to a customer. Ridiculous, a customer comes in for an oil change and the dealer could easily bring in a few extra bucks by performing the TSB as well as make a happy customer.
" Hey Mr customer, while you were here we noticed that there was a radio SW update available so we also performed that for you."
When I was a Dealer electrical tech for 20+ years, one of the first things I'd do is pull up the VIN to see if there any TSB and add them to the work order. This was great because I also got the other techs to do the same thing, in a way we looked out for each other as well as the customer.

Ok, so I went off on a rant. I apologize. But really. Anyway I'm looking into the disc to see if I can locate it.

He said that the tech closed the ticket and stopped working on the vehicle after he discovered he had to order a disc. They didn't complete the Uconnect update at this point. I'll have to double check they even have it after I talk with them next week. Frustrating waste of car jockeying and using favors to get rides, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
mmark27
Rookie

What seems quite strange is that this tsb (08-057-12 was released on October 11, 2012 and the dealer says he doesn't have the update disc. How crazy is that? He's looking at free money from Chrysler where he doesn't have to sell anything to a customer. Ridiculous, a customer comes in for an oil change and the dealer could easily bring in a few extra bucks by performing the TSB as well as make a happy customer.
" Hey Mr customer, while you were here we noticed that there was a radio SW update available so we also performed that for you."
When I was a Dealer electrical tech for 20+ years, one of the first things I'd do is pull up the VIN to see if there any TSB and add them to the work order. This was great because I also got the other techs to do the same thing, in a way we looked out for each other as well as the customer.

Ok, so I went off on a rant. I apologize. But really. Anyway I'm looking into the disc to see if I can locate it.
I would sing praises from the Mountain tops if I had a tech actually do something unexpectedly beneficial for me at a dealership. True customer service is completely lost in today's world. I applaud your efforts (now and) when you were an electrical tech and raising your game and the others around you.

This just seems like something they should have and keep updated. In fact, I'd keep a running tally on my VINs that I've sold or that I've serviced and send them reminders every time a TSB like this would come through for their vehicle. Like you said, its a completely free money situation for them for the cost of a single 4 cent DVD that they won't hand out to anyone. With the high tech and more efficient designs in cars, the only way their service will make money is to stay on top of these updates for the tech in them.

It isn't rocket surgery figuring this out.

Quick Reply: IPod and Mediacenter 430?