3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

IPod and Mediacenter 430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) what is the problem that you're having currently with the iPod?
2) Several people have done the update and their ipods are working?
3)you mentioned taking your dash apart, what vehicle do you have? The only vehicle that you have to take the dash apart to access the module is the Wrangler?
4) Why do you think that you have to take the dash apart?
5) you do have the USB connector in the console or the glove box, correct?

Originally Posted by 2011HEAT
I have a gen 3 or 4 ipod video I'm trying to get to play through my 430N. Did anyone get it to work yet? Read through pages of posts but can someone tell me if it works or not. Don't want to remove my dash piece to get to the module unless people have had success.

Is it as simple as loading the USB with the update or are there still problems? Thanks!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsdbs
1) what is the problem that you're having currently with the iPod?
2) Several people have done the update and their ipods are working?
3)you mentioned taking your dash apart, what vehicle do you have? The only vehicle that you have to take the dash apart to access the module is the Wrangler?
4) Why do you think that you have to take the dash apart?
5) you do have the USB connector in the console or the glove box, correct?
I'm driving a 2011 Durango with the armrest USB port. Earlier posts mentioned taking apart the side portion of the dash to expose a module which lists the SW version. Didn't want to do this since most will have a similar SW version thus, I shouldn't need to.

If its a matter of just installing an update I can do that. Just need the current update to download to a blank thumb drive and install. Thanks for the help....

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
2011HEAT
Professional

Update worked like a charm. Ipod plays now!!! Awesome, thanks for all the help....

Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Troutslayer76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't want to take my dash apart either...what update did you use? So far all the updates i have tried did not work. I have 2011 Durango R/T.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Cool, Thanks for letting me know it went well. Enjoy it

Originally Posted by 2011HEAT
Update worked like a charm. Ipod plays now!!! Awesome, thanks for all the help....

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
2011HEAT
Professional

Originally Posted by Troutslayer76
I really don't want to take my dash apart either...what update did you use? So far all the updates i have tried did not work. I have 2011 Durango R/T.
I'm also in a 2011 D R/T with the 430N headunit. I used the file xsdbs sent me to update the system which was then able to detect and play my video ipod classic (4th gen I think). Are you trying an iphone or ipod? Don't know anything about the iphone but I can testify my ipod now works. Definitely did not remove anything from my dash....

Thanks xsdbs!

Last edited by 2011HEAT; 10-13-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM
WiRiverMonster6

Hey xsdbs,

The update file worked great for me too. It did not read from the thumb drive at first, but after wiping clean and formatting my thumb drive, the update file took perfectly from my thumb drive. Thanks much for the help. My iPod touch and iPhone both play well through the system now. I'm good to go.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Thanks for the update Mark. Glad you got it going.

Originally Posted by WiRiverMonster6
Hey xsdbs,

The update file worked great for me too. It did not read from the thumb drive at first, but after wiping clean and formatting my thumb drive, the update file took perfectly from my thumb drive. Thanks much for the help. My iPod touch and iPhone both play well through the system now. I'm good to go.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Kent Layton
Default 430N 2011 Durango iPod Issue - Need Help, Thanks!

OK, my first post here. Over the summer, I purchased a new '11 Durango Citadel with the 430N (RHB) media center. I test drove several different Durangos of different levels; some had the 430N, some had the 730. My 3rd Gen iPod Touch 64GB would not play through Bluetooth or the cable properly on any of the Durangos equipped with the 430. It always worked with the 730-equipped vehicles - both via Bluetooth and via the USB cable in the armrest. (I am fully aware that only the one in the armrest will allow you to play music off your iPod, and that the dash-port is not for the same thing, although it will charge the unit.)

On the 430's, it will always pair the Bluetooth, and allow you to begin playing. However, it skips and plays at high speed. When you attempt to plug it in using the cable, it hangs on a message screen of "reading" for 30-40 seconds, before finally coming up with the "Error" message.

Eventually, I bought a Durango that happened to have a 430 (the dealer was willing to deal on it). The issue that plagued all 430N's on the test drive is on this one, as well. I've tried different cables (always in the armrest-USB port), and it makes no difference what cable I use. However, twice now, it has worked. Once, it worked perfectly (could scan my iPod's contents on the touch screen and it played perfectly, too); the second time, I could scan the contents, but it played backwards. Literally. When I picked up the car, and it didn't work, the salesman tried to plug his own iPod in, with identical results.

I've been to my dealer a half-dozen times, and their eyes glaze over every time I try to explain the problem. They blame the iPod, and say that they wish cars only had AM radios these days. They searched for TSB's and recalls, and claim to have found nothing.

I am convinced this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. The dealer says Apple just moved to fast for Dodge; I told them that's rubbish - this is a 3rd Gen, and it's two years old now. The car is only a few months old ... and it always works on the 730 systems. They said: "Try to find the cause of the problem yourself."

Any suggestions...? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kent, if it is in the manual, and it says it is supposed to work... and doesn't, it is their problem. Tell them to fix it or take it back as a Lemon. That simple.

If it isn't specifically indicated in the manual to work with the iPod, and it DOES work with other brands, you are stuck with what you get.

There are radio flashes you can use to perhaps improve the usability and feature set.

Also, you have a crappy dealer. Make their life hell, they have deserved it.

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: IPod and Mediacenter 430?