DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango-154/)
-   -   7 pin trailer connector question (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/291760-7-pin-trailer-connector-question.html)

cbrrider012 05-20-2011 04:06 PM

7 pin trailer connector question

I had the dealer install my mopar tow hitch and wiring. It has both the 7 and 4 pin wiring connectors. Does anyone know if the trailer brake is hooked up or do I need to get a brake controller installed for it to work?

shrpshtr325 05-20-2011 04:42 PM

brake controller is not included in the factory wiring, however install should be easy as i believe there is a plug for the controller under the dash.

coldsteel 05-23-2011 05:55 AM

Correct...brake controller is not provided, but the pin from the connector is routed in the harness back into the cab and is taped up under the dash.

SirCrush32 07-02-2011 10:37 PM

Did your Durango come with the 7 and 4 pin wiring connectors. I notice the 4 pin connector in the glove box.

DurangoRT11 08-10-2011 08:10 PM

Just got my new R/T with tow package and hooked up my boat to the 7-pin connector last night and...no lights?

Looking around it seems maybe the harness is not wired from the factory? Is this correct? If so, is this something the dealership is supposed to do when the car is brought in or is this up to the consumer to pay/install themselves?

If anyone can give me any tips I would appreciate it.

I will say that I clipped the 5-flat from my boat and wired on a 7-pin connector so there is a possibility I messed up the wiring but I double/triple checked it. I thought I would check here but was also planning on using a volt-meter to test the 7-pin for connectivity.

Leman 08-11-2011 04:54 AM

While we are on the subject, I hooked up my horse box, all working, but the hazard lights flash the position lights on the box. In Europe it should flash the indicators (Orange) but not a problem as long as something flashes! (and by law in Switzerland we are also supposed to place a warning triangle 50 meters behind in the event of a breakdown.)

A nice touch is the black alignment lignes in the reversing camera, and of course you can see the head of the ball hitch too. Now if I could plug in my horse box camera to the dash screen.....

coldsteel 08-11-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leman (Post 2570000)
... Now if I could plug in my horse box camera to the dash screen.....

You can. You need to get a lockpick which will allow the addition of multiple cameras and/or AV inputs.

Leman 08-12-2011 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by coldsteel (Post 2570010)
You can. You need to get a lockpick which will allow the addition of multiple cameras and/or AV inputs.

That would be great, but umm, what is a lockpick? I thought they were illegal to carry. :-)) ok googled and found interesting. Shame I am a monkey with a spanner, but I will work it out.

Sounds like an opportunity to stick a camera on the back of the horse box too. Cheers for the info.