3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Remote Start Part 2...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
baum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Part 2...

So on my heat i dont have a factory rs. So a few months ago i did a thread about installing one. It was a nice, fancy 2 way remote start (you know the one that lets you know when the car is running...). Well i liked it, but i hated having the big bulky factory key and a big remote in my pocket.

So being the way i am i rip out the old and start fresh. I can now remote start it using the factory keyfob (i only have lock, unlock and panic on the remote). If i press the lock 3 times in a row she starts. Even though the range on this sux (as im sure some of you know by pressing the unlock at a distance) its nice not to have a big aftermarket remote in my pocket. So to keetp me happy and give me a long range i was also able to add another piece to it so i can utilize an app on my smart phone. So now i can start it from *******ly anywhere in the world via smart phone. or i can start it with the factory fob..

Sorry for the rant, just thought i would share whats possible on the d...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
hls811
Rookie

with the new system is it the Dodge kit or you have a 3rd party kit still...?

Im on the fence about adding a remote start.. I wouldn't wnat a 3rd party and having to add a second FOB to my keys so being able to use the original one might sway me..

Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM
JJPonzini
Amateur

I have factory RS and would like an iphone app. More info in what you're doing?
Thanks,

Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM
baum
Professional

its an aftermarket kit.

factory kit you CANT do it with sorry. the pleasures of not over spending with the factory and going aftermarket...

With purchasing online you can get the parts for under $125 (minus the phone integration pieces). ITs all plug and play not a single wire in the car was tapped, spliced, or cut.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
hls811
Rookie

Originally Posted by baum
its an aftermarket kit.

factory kit you CANT do it with sorry. the pleasures of not over spending with the factory and going aftermarket...

With purchasing online you can get the parts for under $125 (minus the phone integration pieces). ITs all plug and play not a single wire in the car was tapped, spliced, or cut.
Can you give a little more info..? What kit you're talking about.. a website maybe??

Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
baum
Professional

The parts needed for the rs:

Idatalink #ads hrn ch4 (t-harness needed) about $40
idatalink #ads alca (bypass module, firmware programmed dbi al(rs) ch4) about $50 to 100. however you will need it programmed with the firmware and not all online retailers will program it for you.

With this bypass module and software you can actually get extended range antenna kits to control the unit also. ex: a nice 2way remote so it lets you know whats going on with the vehicle.

As for the phone integration piece i am using the DEI smart start module (iphone, android, blackberry). I did have to install a piece to go between the 2 (smart start and idatalink piece).

apparently compustar and soon idatalink (about march april from what i heard) both have a smart phone integration piece that will plug directly into the idatalink module (no need for any integration piece between the 2

Last edited by baum; 01-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
PhatboyC
Amateur

Doing any installs in your area? Seem you could be a popular man. lol

Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
baum
Professional

LOL i was a professional installer at varrious shops around the minneapolis, mn area for about 10 years. 2 to 3 years ago in the install world you dreaded a chrysler, but once the bypass module companies "hacked" the auto makers can bus systems its a breeze....

With these 2 pieces i could realistically do a chrysler in about 30 to 45 minutes. hardest part is getting to the back of the ignition switch..

even if someone wanted an aftemarket alarm with remote start the only think you would still have to do is mount a siren..

Quick Reply: Remote Start Part 2...