3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Dealers Don't Get It

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers Don't Get It

I have to admit that until now it has been quite some time since I bought a vehicle from an American maker. My new Durango has me very impressed with the quality and workmanship as well as the design and engineering. The product is on par with any of the European offerings and undercuts their pricing for similiar vehicles. This bodes well for domestic car makers but unfortunately the dealership network is still miles behind in customer care and professionalism.

I can pardon the immaturity and lack of product knowledge from the sales staff many of whom were probably bagging groceries the week before I met them. But the executive sales representatives really dissapointed me most of all. I can sum up the experience with a single point of contention that I had with the dealership that I bought the car from.( It was the only dealer with any R/Ts in stock and the one I bought matched my online build exactly)

I did not want a front tag holder on the vehicle as Florida does not require one and the vehicle looks much better without it. This proved impossible as every car on the lot already had one installed and I did not want to wait for one to be ordered. I shared my concern with the GM and his response was simply " we put them on all our cars....its advertising"
Bingo.... That is the problem in a nutshell, the BMW and Mercedes dealers that I have dealt with realize that these vehicles are customer's cars and they would never dream of drilling 6 holes in the bumper so a dealer tag can be installed there. That is on top of the dealer frame on the rear tag and the dealer sticker that was slapped on crooked to the rear hatch. Of course all of the dealer propaganda was disposed of as soon as I got the car home and a Hemi plate now sits on the front bumper. But I should have the right to choose if I want holes drilled in my new car or not.
But obviously: "The Dealer just doesn't get it!!!"

PS: Looking at the picture thread this seems to be the norm that domestic dealers feel they have the right to make the cars they sell into rolling billboards.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain as I hate it too. I like the looks of my R/T and I do not want to be a free rolling advertisement for that dealer, I do however like to be a free rolling advertisement for Dodge. One of my best purchases was the 3M eraser wheel used to remove the vynal sticker and goo. First step in bringing a new vehicle home, stick that in the coordless drill and off comes the sticker. Next, with a screwdriver in hand I remove the gay plate ring, then she is done. I had my wife send this email to the dealership (also FL) before buying ours.
Sounds good, Ryan. Brent wanted me to pass on not to install the front license plate bracket on the front bumper if this is something you normally do in prep for delivery.
We made it out safe, heck they even put the bracket in the back (I guess we did pay for it) So there are a few dealers around that still think about that stuff.
I can also relate to what you were saying about their knowledge. I do consider myself a "Geek" when it comes to what I am buying so I am up on the product way more than that of the salesman, some I would expect him to know, and some not. The forums are a great place of power/knowledge these days. There have been many times when I hand carry a TSB in that the dealer does not even know about, or so they say, but it gets taken care of. Good luck with your new D and I hope we both can stear clear of the stealer for many maint free years to come.

Last edited by shelbymopar89; 11-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree! The 6 holes are idiotic!!! I took off the front plate and have drills holes in a brand new bumper......

Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
fishrocks17
Default Front plate

I was fortunate that the dealership I went with did not put the front bracket on. In California it's law to have one but I just risk it. Fortunately in our state dealers don't put a sticker or dealer emblem on. If they are not paying me a monthly advertising fee then why do people put up with this??

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishrocks17
If they are not paying me a monthly advertising fee then why do people put up with this??
Unfortunately to a lot of people a vehicle is just a means to get from point a to point b, nothing more. As long as it starts when they turn the key they don't care. To us, the looks, sound, feel, attitude, pride, all wrapped up in one, is our passion for a vehicle.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM
jrockwell
Rookie

I walked out to take my new Durango home and JUST missed the tech putting the sticker on the rear. I had the joy of peeling it off infront of the sales manager and handing it back to him

Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
fincher
Professional

I never advertise the dealer. I'm not getting paid for it so why should I advertise? Most dealers here use plate frames. Funny, some people like using them to advertise not only the dealer but also the city where the dealer is located.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
JJPonzini
Amateur

My dealer gives me free car washes as long as I leave the rear license frame on (with their name on it). Not a bad deal.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM
cdn_tbird
Amateur

Personally don't mind the plate rings for the dealership I deal with. It's a smaller low volume dealership and has always given me GREAT service, so it's a fair trade in my mind. Even told him they could put them on my wife's Patriot which we bought before we moved to this town because of the service.

Mind you the minute the service level goes downhill, the free advertising will stop.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 PM
fincher
Professional

Nothing wrong with it, especially of you like the dealer and think you're getting a deal such as a free car wash, which does have value. It's personal preference.

Quick Reply: Dealers Don't Get It