3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Nav Maps Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Teacherttom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humm..

Originally Posted by happyfirst
This is not free. This is ripping off by BitTorrent. You never know what you're getting via torrent.

A more "gray area" way is IMO, to just buy a portable garmin with free lifetime maps, update that, and then just copy the files off of there.

Still the issue of getting onto the dodge harddrive. Worst case, I assume one could dismantle radio and mount harddrive to PC.

I still wonder what will happen if one connects a notebook to the USB port.
Well what your saying is just as bad..wow

Old 10-31-2016, 09:22 AM
Waynead
Veteran

Maybe he's changed his mind or found out it doesn't work. After all, he said it nearly five years ago.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 AM
GDM
Professional

I agree that being asked to spend $150 per update on maps is a ripoff. I bought my '11 Durango new and within 18 months was getting alerts that my maps were out of date. I ignored and eventually bought a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic updates that work great. Between the newer Garmin and my iPhone, and occasionally peaking at the old fashioned paper map, I navigate across country just fine. I would prefer Chrysler or Garmin offering free map updates with my in dash device, but have gotten over that frustration. Next time I will try to negotiate that as part of the deal when buying a vehicle with Navigation.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Pappy35
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a Citadel and knew from the start that, if it were an option, I would not order factory Nav. If updates were free, or even reasonably priced (like $20) I'd use the built in Nav. but I have Google Maps on my phone and a stand-alone Garmin which work better than anything they could put in the head.

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (06-28-2019)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Mike Naples

Here's my story for the Nav system in Chrysler cars. I have a 2014 Grand Caravan and bought an update from HERE. This company is contracted by Chrysler to build and support the navigation systems in their vehicles. I installed the update and I took the van for a ride and used the Nav to find gas stations, restaurants etc. in my area. The information I got from the system was at least four years out of date. I also have a free standing Garmin and it provided the correct information on businesses. I talked to HERE and well "It's like this and ..." I was not too pleased to I contacted Garmin and complained. Their answer, "Garmin does not produce the map update package, HERE does and is hired by the Chrysler group to do so for their vehicle navigational systems. They use Garmin navigation software but Garmin does not produce the update packages, HERE does. The 2018 map update may have the up to date locations but if the old businesses and the new businesses are not filmed during the recording or map building process than they will be missing and cannot be added later on." So there you go. I am going back to HERE about this as they are completely responsible for the update in our vehicles.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly there is still no better GPS than Google Maps on a data enabled smartphone. Noone does updates like Google and they are always free as long as you don't mind the lack of privacy.

Quick Reply: Nav Maps Ripoff