3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rattle at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle at 50-60 mph

So like the title says when i go 50-60 mph i get this rattle sound which seems like its coming from somewhere behind the steering column, or front driver side A pillar, or somewhere in that vicinity. Did this happen to anyone else and if so where was it and how did you get it resolved?

I made an appointment on wednesday with the dealer but if i can figure it out id rather not go sit and wait for them to try and figure it out.....

Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by switchblade906
So like the title says when i go 50-60 mph i get this rattle sound which seems like its coming from somewhere behind the steering column, or front driver side A pillar, or somewhere in that vicinity. Did this happen to anyone else and if so where was it and how did you get it resolved?

I made an appointment on wednesday with the dealer but if i can figure it out id rather not go sit and wait for them to try and figure it out.....
Check ut the black plastic unit in front of the rear view mirror. The tolerances are such that this can rattle against the wind shield, I popped in a couple of felt spacers and now no rattle.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM
fuzzyb
Rookie

Ours has a vibration that starts about 70 and gets worse after that the faster you go. Dealer has observed it and balanced the tires (they took it up to 90 on that test). The problem still exists and the dealer has done about nothing since, said they are waiting to hear back from corporate.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Leman
Check ut the black plastic unit in front of the rear view mirror. The tolerances are such that this can rattle against the wind shield, I popped in a couple of felt spacers and now no rattle.
I did see that this was a little loose, i tightened it and snapped it into place. I have to try putting some felt under it and see what happens. Thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 02:18 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fuzzyb
Ours has a vibration that starts about 70 and gets worse after that the faster you go. Dealer has observed it and balanced the tires (they took it up to 90 on that test). The problem still exists and the dealer has done about nothing since, said they are waiting to hear back from corporate.
Well i hope it doesnt happen to be like your situation, the rattle comming from my D stops around 60-65 mph. Also when you hit the gas and it comes out of ECO mode it gets louder and then goes away so it must be from certain vibrations..

Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

So it wasn't the plastic piece that covers the mirror wires. i took it off completely because i didn't have any felt. Still makes the damned rattle...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie
Default shake

I have the same thing and my steering wheel shakes like crazy once I get to 60mph. The tires have been swaped out twice and road balanced three times and still major shaking. Only 4K miles on my truck and I dont like driving it. Help!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by switchblade906
So it wasn't the plastic piece that covers the mirror wires. i took it off completely because i didn't have any felt. Still makes the damned rattle...
Shame, sometimes it is simple - sometimes it is rocket science! Do you hear a difference with different road surfaces?

With plastics, temperature can play a role, which is a way of eliminating trim as an issue in most cases.

Outside temperature plays a role of course. As I hate rattles in a new car, my method is to heat the inside up using the heater, and then drive to see what rattles.

if it is another source and resonates at the ECM mode on/off, or specifically at a road speed, you will need 4 passengers to accurately locate it :-)

Stuff you can check:

See if all cable pass through grommets are in place on the firewall, looking in from the engine. Also check the engine compartment with somebody revving steadily unto the tachometer mark that is in range of the rattle. Make certain the transmission oil gauge is seated properly. If their is no rattle under light load the issue is deeper.

Slide a business card around the interior trim, especially around the radio and climate controls area and without having an accident, around the dashboard area. Check also that nothing has fallen down the sides of the seats (coins etc..), and check that the glasses holder on the roof does not contain anything that can rattle. (My glasses rattle!).

That usually isolates trim rattles and cable rattles that are accessible. Otherwise it could be within the steering, seats or glove box. That is about all you can do.

Personally all I had was the high beam module on the screen, my glasses. and my hitch when dismounted and loaded under the trunk. All the stuff in there is now isolated. I have no other mechanical as apposed to trim rattles on my DDC. Wheel balance, from experience, has not been a source of minor rattles, and usually you would feel it in the steering wheel or in the seat before you get a rattle. It can only be a plastic or eventually metal resonance source.

As for steering vibration, which I believe to be a separate issue, I became really sensitive to this with my Corvette on track, and most times it came down to unsprung weight areas, i.e. Tires that were not true or mounted incorrectly (some have red dots to line up with the valve), wheels that were out of true, and in one case following a broken valve, a bad TPMS unit. Also a thrown, but not easily visible lead weight. (Balancing wheels can only go so far apparently) In board it can be used or poor tolerances in the steering U joints , or eventually a drive shaft issue. There would be (is) a Tech bulletin for this and has been mentioned in this forum.

Just some thoughts.... some daft I admit.

Last edited by Leman; 12-28-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
JCO1981

I have had the same problem on my RT. I hate the truck so much it has nothing but issues. The steering wheel shake I have gotten use to but the interior rattles are ridiculous. Once the truck hits 20k miles it is gone never buy another mopar product again.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Phoenix RT
Rookie

Yup, I have always had chevys but have always liked Dodge as well. The RT looked so nice and the size is perfect for us. However we have had nothing but issues with it since new. The front doors dont even line up with the rear doors. Really poor quality on this vehicle, very dissapointed. It only has 4K miles on it and we take our old truck instead when we go out because it drives better.

Quick Reply: Rattle at 50-60 mph