Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Larry Lives
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Questions!

Hi All!
Noob here...
Im a suite by day and a Garage mechanic by night (and weekend).
I have worked on all cars, trucks, bikes etc...

Heres my "question"
I have an appointment at my local dealer to drive both the 2012 V6 & V8 Hemi.
I know the Hemi has a 6 speed trans, and with all my highway driving this might be the way to go for me. Im excited to see the difference in the 5 and 6 speed trans, at about 75 or 80 on the highway, wonder where RPMs will be...

The ideal Durango for me would be a Hemi 4X4 Crew, but based on the packages and options that are standard I might just go with the RT.

Any advice for the new guy? (me).
Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I hope you find a D that you like. I hate to let the cat out of the bag but ole Mother Mopar pulled a marketing fast one on the whole 5/6 speed thing. The old one was also a "6" speed. Check out this link, long story short is the final drive is the same.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...w-6-speed.html Good luck and let us know if you pick one up!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

+1 the 5/6 speed is a marketing ploy....but if you can wait the 8 speed tranny will be fitted to the D in the near future.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Larry Lives
Rookie

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
Welcome, I hope you find a D that you like. I hate to let the cat out of the bag but ole Mother Mopar pulled a marketing fast one on the whole 5/6 speed thing. The old one was also a "6" speed. Check out this link, long story short is the final drive is the same.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...w-6-speed.html Good luck and let us know if you pick one up!
Gotcha, yea ratios is what really matters... Thanks! Good info!
Anyone else?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
BCC171

I was kind of disappointed in the "6-speed" transmission. It's basically the some ol' 5-speed thay've had forever but have allowed the additional 2nd/3rd gear to be unlocked. Ultimately, this automatic is essentially a 4 speed auto in my mind. 2nd-3rd and 5ht-6th are way too closely geared to gain any benefit from one over the other in either acceleration or fuel economy. While I'm happy with my D, this is the one area that I've been a little disappointed. Can't wait til they come out with a true 8 speed auto for the V8 Durango's as has been rumored for a while. Both performance and fuel economy should be greatly improved.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Questions!