3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

430N RHB connection for GPS files

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM
chartrand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 430N RHB connection for GPS files

Anyone know of a way to connect there laptop to the radio to transfer files? I want to transfer my stored favorites from one Garmin to the Garmin in the 430N (current.gpx). Maybe there is a sport on the radio someplace with a USB connection that makes the radio look like a flash drive to the laptop? I tried to just put a Garmin directory onto my update disk with the GPX folder and the current .gpx file inside of that, but get a PND Update failure noice on the radio, so I'm missing something. Any thoughts? This would also enable us to add things like new vehicle icons, and even different voices.

-Pat

Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 AM
chartrand

I found the answer on a Jeep Forum, and it worked like a champ for loading all your points. Here they are if anyone else want's to know.

Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 – Using POI Loader from Garmin (
www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 – Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 – You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 – Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 – Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 – Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 – To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you

will see the list.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 AM
rdkind62
Professional

Great information. Its always easier when somebody else does all the work.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
vonbonds

Pretty cool. Can this operation work in reverse? I would love to backup my POI's I have created in my car. I had to have my 430 unit replaced once under warranty and I lost all of my customer locations I created over time in the unit. I would hate for that to happen again.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
chartrand

Unfortunately it does not work in reverse, it would be nice if there was a usb port on the radio that allowed you to connect to it with your laptop so you could see the actual files and back them up.

-Pat

Quick Reply: 430N RHB connection for GPS files