3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

'11+ Tuner - Finally!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
GotRPM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Wow, a lot of defensive posts (fueled by by guilty consciences?). Mac424 clearly gets it. Others, not so much. Dodge (and Ford and Chevy) have paid millions in warranty repairs for damage done by tunes. Example - removing torque management and modding the engine puts more strain on the transmission than it was designed to take. If there is a transmission issue, who believes it was probably not caused by a tune? Shifty service reps, I really like that one! Who isn't smart enough to go to an honest service center instead of a crook?

I particularly love this one:
Bottom line is the dealer has to prove the an ECU tune caused whatever issue is in question...
Bottom line is the dealer only has to demonstrate a causative link to deny warranty. Then it goes to Chrysler - not a shifty service rep. Been there on my blown 2000 Dakota R/T when the coil went out. They did pay for the tow... Of course I could have taken them to court....yeah that's right, scr*w em, sue the Basta**ds! I'm in the right! Fortunately some of us know how the world works.....

Rationalize your behavior all you want - do you really care what I think anyway?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM
sbindley
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the misconception is that there are a lot of people who are new to the idea of of modding (say, 99 percent of car owners), and some who actually think that doing anything at all will "void your warranty." As in, you have no more warranty on anything because you put on better wheels and tires or a cold air intake, etc. Just trying to clarify that only the piece changed or upgraded is subject to warranty denials. For me, I generally go so far that I'd never consider a warranty claim, unless it was completely unrelated to the mods. For instance, my V8 Solstice was still covered if the wipers went out or a speaker blew, but if the tranny failed, I'd be out of luck (though I put in a new one anyway). As for the D, I'll do the tuner and roll the dice. I don't expect any issues other than a vehicle that runs smoother.

Didn't realize that finding a reputable service rep was so simple. My experience is that I usually go in knowing more about the specific issues than they do -- love to bring in manufacturer service bulletins that they have never seen.

A lot of grey area in here -- lot of assumptions. Every case is different. If someone has a blown engine and had installed a tune from a non-reputable company or ran it to the ragged edge on a custom tune, then they should be liable if it is proven that the failure was caused by the tune. But one should be able to customize their cars as they see fit, and if they don't want to share that with their shop, that's up to them. Honestly, I've always felt more comfortable having my cars tuned to my particular needs, supporting mods, weather, driving style, choice of octane, tire tread rating, etc., than to just accept the parameters that come with it. They always run better, smoother, faster and with higher mpg.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

Any update on how the tuner is working for you?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Jpo
Amateur
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rrjjpp74
Any update on how the tuner is working for you?
I got issues the OBD2 cable is not fitting into the inTune DCX. Waiting for an RMA to replace the unit. What fun dealing with Tech Support then Online Sales now waiting for authorization.

From what I was able to see via USB attached to my Laptop was a nice unit easy to use interface and simple to update. Much better then some tuning devices I've seen and worked with in the past. My only issues is the OBD2 cable connection to the inTune device. It will not seat all the way and when I try it starts to bend some of the pins (2 left side and 1 right side pins). So I'm stuck with a pretty looking inTune DCX.

Last edited by D3-Blk-Hemi; 01-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
mac424
Professional

Originally Posted by D3-Blk-Hemi
I got issues the OBD2 cable is not fitting into the inTune DCX. Waiting for an RMA to replace the unit. What fun dealing with Tech Support then Online Sales now waiting for authorization.

From what I was able to see via USB attached to my Laptop was a nice unit easy to use interface and simple to update. Much better then some tuning devices I've seen and worked with in the past. My only issues is the OBD2 cable connection to the inTune device. It will not seat all the way and when I try it starts to bend some of the pins (2 left side and 1 right side pins). So I'm stuck with a pretty looking inTune DCX.
Man that stinks! I got mine the other day. I was able to update it and connect everything, but I couldn't tune the truck I needed to contact support with the Cal Id. They're working on it now. It could read the VIN# and check the DTCs, but thats about it right now.

I'll probably wait a little longer before I tune the truck. Let them work a few more things out. It takes time to work all the bugs out. Trust me, I know how it goes, I work for a software development company. We get beat up on sometimes when new versions come out. It happens.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
CMil527
Champion

Sorry to hear about the bugs guys, keep us posted!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

Will you be able to change tq management also? I know that was one of the biggest difference when I did my truck with GM Live. Made night and day difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
mac424
Professional

Originally Posted by rrjjpp74
Will you be able to change tq management also? I know that was one of the biggest difference when I did my truck with GM Live. Made night and day difference.
There should be some kind of adjustment. I think with my predator, it was called shift firmness (more line pressure). I loved the increased pressure and so did my tranny. It seemed to run smoother and the clutches were engaged more with less slip between shifts.

You should also be able to change the shift points and rev limiter.

Raising limiter and shift points didn't do much for my Magnum. The firmness increase did. The HEMIs tend to peak with HP and TQ at 4-5k rpms. I noticed in the Magnum it stopped pulling hard after 5,500.

Another nice feature diablo has is the disable the auto up shift in when in auto stick mode. Helped me from falling flat on my face when I shifted the same time the TCM did. When that happened the tranny went to 3rd instead of second like I was hoping haha.

Right now, the parameter adjustments are a little bit of a mystery since I can't get my inTune past accessing the pcm and BLK Hemi can't get his OBDII connector to hook up to the inTune. So far, we're the only 2 I've seen trying to use the new inTune-DCX on the D right now.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
sbindley
Professional

As I mentioned earlier, Diablo did say they expect the Durango tune to be released by "end of month." So not much longer.

Quick Reply: '11+ Tuner - Finally!!?