Front-End Creaking and Blower Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front-End Creaking and Blower Motor Problems

Hey all!

Had a couple problems crop up in the old D this weekend. We were driving back from a little road trip, (6ish hours), and the A/C stopped blowing air. I could still *hear* air movement "under the dash", but there was very little air coming out. The little bit that was coming out of the vents was cold, so I'm assuming it was just pressure pushing out a bit of air. I'm also assuming that the A/C compressor is working fine, but my blower motor is shot. Oddly enough, when I fired up the Durango this morning, it was working fine. I'm still planning on buying a new blower motor and installing it, but I wanted a second opinion from you guys.

Second issue is a creaking has developed from the front passenger side of the car. I'm assuming its a control arm bushing problem, or something similar, but I haven't had any time to really dig into it yet. Thoughts?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03neonRT
Hey all! Had a couple problems crop up in the old D this weekend. We were driving back from a little road trip, (6ish hours), and the A/C stopped blowing air. I could still *hear* air movement "under the dash", but there was very little air coming out. The little bit that was coming out of the vents was cold, so I'm assuming it was just pressure pushing out a bit of air. I'm also assuming that the A/C compressor is working fine, but my blower motor is shot. Oddly enough, when I fired up the Durango this morning, it was working fine. I'm still planning on buying a new blower motor and installing it, but I wanted a second opinion from you guys. Second issue is a creaking has developed from the front passenger side of the car. I'm assuming its a control arm bushing problem, or something similar, but I haven't had any time to really dig into it yet. Thoughts?
What year Durango do you have? You may have posted in the wrong forum. 3rd gen is 2011 or newer

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Wash Man
What year Durango do you have? You may have posted in the wrong forum. 3rd gen is 2011 or newer
Its a 2011 Crew.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

I just had my right front strut replaced for the creaking sound. all better now. 2011 R/T

Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
I just had my right front strut replaced for the creaking sound. all better now. 2011 R/T
The only reason I was leaning toward it not being strut related, is because when I move the car up and down (stand on either side and move up and down) or rock it side to side when its parked, I don't hear any creaking. However, when I'm driving, and I go to slow down/start moving/backing out of my driveway/etc, I hear the creaking. I suppose that test isn't exactly accurate or all inclusive though lol.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

Under normal driving I did not hear it. It would do it when the right front would drop off of the curb when backing out of my driveway, and also when going through rutted parking lots. Dealer said they could not duplicate it so I took them for a ride and found a nice big hole in a gravel road. He could definitely here it and just replaced the strut. So far so good. Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shelbymopar89,

I'm pleased to hear you were able to get the issue resolved quickly. You also bring up a good point regarding the diagnosis process. Being able to duplicate the concern is pivotal to an accurate and efficient resolution. It is always encouraged to bring any relevant details to the Service Dept.'s attention.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With regards to the blower motor, I just had my 2013 D serviced for the blower motor cycling. With the AC on and in auto mode, the blower would just go into high mode and then back to almost nothing, and it would cycle like that like every 10-15 seconds, and the cabin was not properly being cooled down. When I switched into manual mode by adjusting the blower speed about 3/4 high or full high, it would still cycle the same way. They found and replaced a broken gear that controls a blend door opening. This is some of the details:
"Verified blower motor starts to operate, then increases speed and then stops. Found HVAC has active code B11CA-00-Right Temperature Door Travel Too Large. Found timing gear for right blend door is broken."
Now all functions well. Looks like the part number is 68214880AA Gear-Actuator

Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Under normal driving I did not hear it. It would do it when the right front would drop off of the curb when backing out of my driveway, and also when going through rutted parking lots. Dealer said they could not duplicate it so I took them for a ride and found a nice big hole in a gravel road. He could definitely here it and just replaced the strut. So far so good. Hope this helps.
Yeah, in my case, I don't hear the creaking noise when I go over bumps/holes/etc while at a given speed.

I hear the sound when these occur (not limited to these events though):

When the car starts or stops moving (slowing down at a stoplight, or starting to move), the front passenger side creaks.

When you make a slow turn (i.e. pulling into a parking spot, etc), there is a creak.

Backing out of my driveway and onto the road, I hear the creaking.

Oddly enough, I do not hear the creaking sound when going over rough road or moving the car up and down or rocking from side to side (jumping down standing on the car, or pushing the body left to right, etc).

I'm leaning toward lower suspension arm/control arm? Any other thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by 03neonRT; 06-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DDCREW
With regards to the blower motor, I just had my 2013 D serviced for the blower motor cycling. With the AC on and in auto mode, the blower would just go into high mode and then back to almost nothing, and it would cycle like that like every 10-15 seconds, and the cabin was not properly being cooled down. When I switched into manual mode by adjusting the blower speed about 3/4 high or full high, it would still cycle the same way. They found and replaced a broken gear that controls a blend door opening. This is some of the details:
"Verified blower motor starts to operate, then increases speed and then stops. Found HVAC has active code B11CA-00-Right Temperature Door Travel Too Large. Found timing gear for right blend door is broken."
Now all functions well. Looks like the part number is 68214880AA Gear-Actuator

Thanks for sharing the repair information and glad issue is resolved for you.

Quick Reply: Front-End Creaking and Blower Motor Problems