3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Back up camera has condensation

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM
St.Char
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera has condensation

Just started noticing this after my last car wash, any ideas on ways to get rid of it. You can even see it in the lens from the outside.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 AM
firemanprice
Professional

Originally Posted by St.Char
Just started noticing this after my last car wash, any ideas on ways to get rid of it. You can even see it in the lens from the outside.
Noticed it on mines 2 weeks ago to. Though I'd give it a few days to clear, never did. Took it to the dealership and they agreed. Now I have a new camera, you may want to do the same thing.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Originally Posted by firemanprice
Noticed it on mines 2 weeks ago to. Though I'd give it a few days to clear, never did. Took it to the dealership and they agreed. Now I have a new camera, you may want to do the same thing.
Haha , please share how the heck you got your dealership to agree with something????

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
firemanprice
Professional

Originally Posted by fintan06
Haha , please share how the heck you got your dealership to agree with something????
I know I was shocked to. Just explained to my Service Advisor what I could see not only on the video when I'm reverse but also on the camera it self. I also explained how at night it has really limited my view of What's Behind me. Now it's become a safty issue, that's when he got a flashlight and looked into the camera housing. He was like yes I do see something, let's order a new one and I'll call you when it's in. All you could see after he said that was a dust cloud because I was out before they could change there minds.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
St.Char
Professional

Originally Posted by firemanprice
I know I was shocked to. Just explained to my Service Advisor what I could see not only on the video when I'm reverse but also on the camera it self. I also explained how at night it has really limited my view of What's Behind me. Now it's become a safty issue, that's when he got a flashlight and looked into the camera housing. He was like yes I do see something, let's order a new one and I'll call you when it's in. All you could see after he said that was a dust cloud because I was out before they could change there minds.
Funny...I"ll give this a shot, thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
firemanprice
Professional

Funny...I"ll give this a shot, thanks!
Keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
JRRF
Captain

Try a hair dryer. As the weather changes the condensation is likely to go away anyway.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
raycm

Moisture/air is getting into the camera. You could use liquid sealant to seal the seams of the camera. I used liquid electrical tape. Leave the camera in direct sunshine to evacuate the moisture without damage.

Ray

Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If car still under warranty, have the dealer replace the camera assembly. The camera should withstand outdoor weather conditions, including car washes.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
St.Char
Professional

-->UPDATE<---
The camera was fogging up really bad after driving it, so one day last week I was able to replicate the foggy condensation building up in the camera lens. So, I was close to the dealer and decided to take it by and let them see it. As soon as I pulled up the rear camera view, there were no questions asked, full replacement. I think it may be better then before.

Quick Reply: Back up camera has condensation