3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Ron Burgundy fesses up……..funny bit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Burgundy fesses up……..funny bit

This had to have execs squirming…….Ron tells the truth about our beloved Durango's.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/22/r...eos/#continued

Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

I got paid.....I'm not tinkering around with lug nutzzz......

Classic!!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a Burgundy fan. I think the sales jump was in spite of the ads. If they'd really been funny maybe sales would've lept by 159 percent. Not.
I'd like to think the jump was because it is an improved truck over the unlamented predecessor of '09 and earlier, and Edmunds and Consumer Reports (at least initially) gave it high marks. But now it is getting too pricey -- $40K for one moderately equiped. And that's a six-banger.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

It's a simple reason to the increase in sales, they are actually marketing the Durango.

The v6 can go for 40k+ because people will actually pay it. Stop paying for a 40k+ v6 SUV and they'll stop making them. lol

Last edited by fishandgrits; 11-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran
Default $$$

I don't think the ads with "Ron" are causing the sales increase either. I agree with Orin….reviews have been very positive. Just hope this V6 head issue and the TIPM failures don't tarnish the rep too much. That Conan bit was funny though.

Durango has always been expensive. That's what turned me away 2 years ago. Then I looked at a 4WD 4Runner…..talk about overpriced! So, found a dealer in Kentucky that discounted Chrysler products very aggressively and it was worth the 260 mile trip to his dealership. Getting a 2013 R/T in July, loaded up for under 40K was reasonable. I'm getting very spoiled by this car.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by WannaV-8
Getting a 2013 R/T in July, loaded up for under 40K was reasonable. I'm getting very spoiled by this car.
Dude! Smokin' deal, for sure. Congrats.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 AM
V for Victory
All Star

Agree Ron Burgandy is not selling Durango's. Some of the commercials are pretty funny and some are stupid. They are all subjective to your taste of humor. If I was a Dodge Exec. I would be P.O.ed about the Conan show, since he doesn't back it up with J/K instead he shakes his head "No" but the classic one liner " I don't tinker with lug nuts" That's funny! Love my truck, and for 36.9K love it even more, HA

Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

It is Marketing period! There was no Marketing before for the Durango. For 1 moment think about all of us here we are a specific genre. We all do similar things to our Durangos or any vehicles we own. We don't necessarily like Ron Burgundy but we relate to him because we watch goofy movies. How many Dodge chargers do you think were sold after Fast and furious 6 came out....thousands for sure.
Dodge is learning that trying to Market the D to the same people that buy stuff shirt Land rovers or Escapade owners wont work, they have learned to market them to the guys(and gals) that need to haul stuff everyday or haul kids everyday, but want to really own a piece of the muscle car esque.
Again Ron personally has sold no Durango's and really did you think Will Farrel is capable of working on a car? He can barely act.
Enjoy the ride Gents...
STEVE

Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
It is Marketing period! There was no Marketing before for the Durango.
For sure. I accidently rented one in Flordia from Enterprise back in 2007 (?) and didn't know what the hell I was driving. Pretty unimpressive, really.

[QUOTE=FSTDANGO3;3102854]Dodge is learning that trying to Market the D to the same people that buy stuff shirt Land rovers or Escapade owners wont work, they have learned to market them to the guys(and gals) that need to haul stuff everyday or haul kids everyday, but want to really own a piece of the muscle car esque. [QUOTE]

All manufacturers want a chunk of the luxury market but too many try to do it on the cheap. People catch on pretty quick and then then the manufacturer is hosed for the next several years.
Dodge is entry-level for Chrysler, period. Trying to move beyond that is risky unless they provide extraordinary content -- which they did 2011-13 -- for entry-level prices. Even Dodge dealers are shaking their heads over $50,000 Durangos. For that kind of money the product needs to be damn-near perfect.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM
rvarner
Professional

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
[B]

Even Dodge dealers are shaking their heads over $50,000 Durangos. For that kind of money the product needs to be damn-near perfect.
I agree there. $50k+ for a Durango, no matter how it is equipped, is crazy. I think Dodge and Dodge dealerships are realizing that. Which is why you could get $9k-$10k off sticker price on loaded up '13 Durangos. Of course, you can't get that much discount off of a '14 yet, but by the middle/end of next year I bet you will be able to.

That Conan bit was great, by the way!

Last edited by rvarner; 11-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Ron Burgundy fesses up……..funny bit