3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

'03 Durango rough idle & stalls when given gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
samozaam4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Durango rough idle & stalls when given gas

Hello,

We have an '03 Durango 4.7L 2WD Automatic Transmission that we bought used back in March. Shortly after we got it, it threw the P0456 code. Then it also threw the P0302 code.

Ever since we've had it, if you started it up immediately after putting the key in the ignition, it would take a few seconds to start. But, if you waited until the whine of the fuel pump stopped, it would pretty much start immediately.

Over time, though, the idle at startup became more rough. And if you gave it gas after startup, it would act like it would want to stall, it would come close to stalling (RPM would get low), but it never did. Then, a couple weeks ago, I noticed it felt a little rough while driving...couldn't quite put my finger on it, though. Sometimes it felt like it would hesitate or not "catch" immediately...or maybe RPM would go down for a second?....I guess that's the best way to describe it. Never stalled though.

Well, I found out code P0302 was something to do with spark plug #2. So, this weekend, I had my husband replace all 8 spark plugs, and he replaced #2's ignition coil for good measure.

Well, the idle still felt a little rough. Driving seemed ok though. Then, remembering that maybe the code needed to be cleared, I had my husband disconnect the battery, and then reconnect it.

Well, since reconnecting the battery, the idle at start up has been VERY, VERY rough. RPM's low, acts like it wants to stall, but doesn't....RPM's go up & down slightly....it's like it's trying to correct itself. While it's doing this, the interior lights dim & slightly & then go back to normal. When giving it gas, it stalls. Doesn't stall on its own, just when you give it gas. Driving, though, seems ok.....BUT, there was one time today I was in a parking lot, in Drive, but at a stop, waiting to turn down a lane, and it stalled. When I pulled into a space & put it in Park, the rough/low idle returned. Codes haven't come back yet...but it's only been driven about 25 miles or so since resetting it.

So, what else could be the problem? Is there something else my husband should do/check? Anything we forgot to do? Also, could code 0456 have anything to do with it? I know what code 0456 is, just don't know what's throwing it. I know it's NOT the gas cap, LOL!

Now, keep in mind, anything we know about vehicles, we find out through the internet or through that Haynes manual. My husband is not very familiar/comfortable with these newer vehicles (90's & newer), but if easy enough & explained well, he will attempt fixing it. So, if you could explain things in layman's terms, that would be great! We hope to be able to fix this ourselves, since we can't afford the high labor charges at a shop. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM
samozaam4

(Sorry, I think this a double post. I couldn't find my post from earlier today, so I posted again...)

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wrong forum...

Sam, you might have better luck if you move over to the earlier generation D forum. This is 3rd gen discussion... 2011 and newer.

Steve

Last edited by wi-steve; 06-17-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I agree it needs to be moved but I will tell you to (believe it or not) to check your power steering lines and switch area for leaks which could have seeped down into wiring harness. This causes havoc and all types of false codes

Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 AM
samozaam4

Oops, sorry! I know it's first generation, don't know why I posted here...guess that's why I couldn't find my first post...I was looking in the wrong section! Anyway, thanks for the power steering leak idea...I will tell my husband. Would false codes cause rough/low idle & stalling?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

This leaking causes problems from false O2 codes which lead to bad performance.
Also how old is your battery. Battery condition is critical in these D's. If its older than 3 yrs get a new one of those. They can affect idle and rough starts as well.
STEVE

Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
samozaam4

Not sure how old the battery is. We purchased this vehicle used, so we don't know when this current battery was put in.

I'll be sure to get the battery tested, though.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM
jnschnit
Rookie

I will second what FSTDANGO3 said on the power steering switch leaking. The GEN1 Durango's had a problem there that when they leaked, it pretty much destroyed the wiring harness.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Dont bother testing the battery, they often test good and still have a problem with current flow thru them.
STEVE

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

What Steve said. Went thru 2 batts with my '00 SLT 5.9. Symptoms of eminent failure were exactly what you are describing

Quick Reply: '03 Durango rough idle & stalls when given gas