3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

1st oil change... disappointed :(

Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
R3TRO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st oil change... disappointed :(

So I got my first (free) oil change at the dealership yesterday and at first was extremely impressed with everyone's attentiveness and courtesy! Free shuttle, free coffee, and keeping me updated on the status. I had a problem with the brake pedal sensor (different thread) which they fixed too. I was ready to roll in about 4hrs.

Now for my issue...

So I get in my car and all the seats were moved in crazy positions. Would be one thing if it was just the drivers seat where I could hit the memory button, but rear seats were flipped (?) and front passenger was folded back too (?). Not sure why that kind of access was needed, but whatever.

Then they left the plastic on the front seat and the paper carpet protector was jammed up all the way behind the brake pedal and up into the firewall area. Also someone left a water cup in my cup holder. Again whatever, I'll just deal.

Here's where I get pissed...!

Drive home and park the D in the driveway as usual. Leave for work later and as I'm pulling out of driveway notice a HUGE oil spot. I get out and take a look and it was everywhere?! It's like they forgot to tighten the filter or something. So I call them and they tell me its normal for that much oil to leak for a bit as it collects under the cross memebers during an oil change. I get out my flashlight and look around and it looks like an entire quart was just poured all over the transmission and suspension components. Also checked the oil level and it's reading a quart high!

Anyone else have issues like this after having oil changed?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Hell no that isn't normal; tell them you want them to clean up the mess on the car, clean up the mess in the driveway and give you additional free oil changes. With all of the Federal EPA rules, do you believe that allowing that much oil to drip/pour freely from your vehicle would be acceptable?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

I am a supporter of dealer service but this is horrible. Not necessary. I went to Demontrond Dodge in Conroe, TX on Friday morning, without an appointment. Had a coupon http://www.mopar.com/coupons/ $24.95 for oil change and tire rotation. Hemi actually brought it to $29.++. plus tax. Done in 50 mins. Not a drop of oil anywhere. BTW this coupon was not available on the dealer's site. Only on the Mopar site. I think Jiffy Lube around the corner charges about the same without the tire rotation. Too bad your crowd can't get their act together.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
J6L
Rookie
Default Unacceptable

Coldsteel is right.
I had my Durango for a year and just had my third oil change. I never seen a drop of oil hit my driveway after an oil change. You might want to file a report with Chrysler customer service in case that overfill causes any other engine related problems. Your vehicle should have been returned to you as good, if not better than when it went in for service that day. I hope all goes well

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Those MDS lifters are very sensitive when it comes to low or high oil pressure, and easily damaged. First thing I would do is call Customer Care, so that you KNOW there's a record of what they did. Then I would be headed straight back to the dealership...while driving in manual shift mode to disable MDS.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No and i go to the dealer all the time for my oil changes. i went to another place for it once and charged me twice as much as the dealer does. I only deal with one guy at my service department and i have no problems with anything ive done.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Lot boys changing oil to save on labor also they have a special catch funnel for the oil filter. That's why you don't see oil on the crossmember when done right. As for your seats I say they moved driver for obvious reasons and pass seat for battery disconnect " under that seat" for sensor repair. As for your back seats i would guess the kid who changed your oil also did the " courtesy" test drive for you
while he was HIGH and made a beer run with his buddy and when he saw how much room we have back there. Said " Damn this truck can hold slot of STEEL RESERVE."

Last edited by Fullslp; 07-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
sinn
Amateur

I have to admit that the oil filter location/access is a real pita and I did more than my share of swearing during my 1st 2 oil changes, but this type of thread is exactly why I will continue to crawl under my own vehicle and do it correctly, even if it takes me two hours because every time you go to a dealer for ANY service they will #$%^ up your stuff!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

I take my D to the dealer for the 4 for $70 deal they offer, and they use synthetic. I generally like the work except I always find my headlights turned from auto to off, and the driving lights off. They argue that I should change the oil every 3k miles, since hey they know better than Dodge or the oil manufacturer who say you can go 8k or more.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
St.Char
Professional

Hope the OP took a pic of the oil spill...that's B/S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st oil change... disappointed :(