3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rear A/C Controls Only go Full Blast

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
codykeith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear A/C Controls Only go Full Blast

I have had my Durango for 2 months, and have yet to figure out how that rear A/C controls work.

The blower speed doesn't come on until a little over half way, and when it does, it just go full blast. The temperature control doesn't affect the the rear A/C at all.

I can adjust everything from the front controls, but its hard on road trips when the wife is in the back with the kids, and wants to change the A/C every ten seconds.

I would like to see if there is a "trick" I don't know, because the dealership is a 45 minute drive away.

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM
codykeith

Update: Dealership said the rear control head in the main control unit needs replaced. Apparently a fairly common problem. D is going in Monday to get the repairs.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Mine is the same way. Had the sales guy check others on the lot and 3 more were the same way. 0 to about 4 on the rear dial nothing, around 5 the fan comes in and rev's up to max all by itself.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the auto temperature control unit, you probably have the temp in the rear set up much lower than the passenger and drivers settings. Under the passenger temperature control buttons (one with red arrow the other with blue) there is another button that shows "Rear". With The A/C running press that button, check the displayed temp and adjust to be the same as passenger/driver.
I had the same issue where passenger and driver side fans were blowing at a low speed while the rear fan was blowing at full speed. It was because I had the passenger and driver temps set at 70, while the rear was set at 60. Once you press the "Rear" button to check the temp, you can adjust up-down with the passenger side temp adjust buttons.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 PM
codykeith

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
Mine is the same way. Had the sales guy check others on the lot and 3 more were the same way. 0 to about 4 on the rear dial nothing, around 5 the fan comes in and rev's up to max all by itself.
Take it to the dealership and have them replace the part under warranty. I will have a part number on Monday so you know what to ask for.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 PM
codykeith

Originally Posted by DDCREW
If you have the auto temperature control unit, you probably have the temp in the rear set up much lower than the passenger and drivers settings. Under the passenger temperature control buttons (one with red arrow the other with blue) there is another button that shows "Rear". With The A/C running press that button, check the displayed temp and adjust to be the same as passenger/driver.
I had the same issue where passenger and driver side fans were blowing at a low speed while the rear fan was blowing at full speed. It was because I had the passenger and driver temps set at 70, while the rear was set at 60. Once you press the "Rear" button to check the temp, you can adjust up-down with the passenger side temp adjust buttons.
This is a problem with the rear AC controls. It's a known problem, and they just released a fix for it.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Jrb1012

Our new Durango has this same issue, however the tech at the dealer said it was "normal". I know this can not be possible. I got the feeling like the tech didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it so he just blew it off. What exactly should I ask the tech to check so he might be more inclined to look deeper into the issue?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Please list the TSB once you get it, that way it helps everyone
STEVE

Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
codykeith
Default Update and apology

So, finally got the repair done by the dealership. It turns out its not a problem with the rear controls, but rather its the way it interfaces with the front controls. In the end they replaced the whole front control unit, which threw me off, because its different that the old one.

Advise for those with similar problems. Have the service writer contact Dodge. There is a new part number, and it fixed thow entire problem. This is a documented problem, as 3 other Durangos were in getting the fix at the same time as me. Remember to advise them it's the front controls that are defective, not the rear.

I want to apologize, because I misplaced the paperwork from the dealership, but will post it as soon as I find it. Just remember, if your dealership won't fix it, or seems clueless, to call Dodge. Now that its fixed, I am fairly happy with my Durango, but due to this and the water pump issue, I have concerns with keeping this car much longer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Maybe Dodge Cares can get us some information. I sent him a PM.

Last edited by MIKEon22s; 08-23-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear A/C Controls Only go Full Blast