3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

3rd Gen HID Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM
DCrew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen HID Options?

I'm looking into getting HIDs and was wondering which sets are most recommended on this forum? Someone in another thread mentioned "VYME" but when I went to their website it was pretty outdated and didn't have all the bulbs for my 2013 Durango. When I was a member of the Ram Forumz they had vendors/sponsors for all types of things, HIDs etc...and some members had better experience with certain sets then with others. I know I can check Ebay but besides Ebay does anyone have any suggestion for full HID sets for our 3rd Gen Durangos that did NOT come with HIDs?

I know some with the R/T and Citadel already have HIDs installed....i'm talking aftermarket HIDs. Any suggestions?

Per the owner's manual the bulb size for my Crew is:
LOW BEAM: H11
HIGH BEAM: 9005
FOG: PSX24W

If anyone has had luck with a specific full HID set I'd definitely appreciate hearing about it. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved this thread to the correct section.
FF

Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
DCrew

nobody here has purchased full sets of HIDs for their 2013 Durango and can offer whether they're satisfied with them and if so where they got them?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Avalanche911
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Scottina11heat
All Star

kbcarstuff.com or xenondepot.com same company. best HID's on the planet IMHO

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM
fiercelunatic
Amateur

i have Hid ON MINE DDMTUNING.COM GOING ON 1 YEAR NO FLICKERING OR PROBLEMS

Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
mazda3ndp
Professional

buy the OEM hid headlights, or retrofit projectors into yours. get your harness and bulbs etc. from theretrofitsource dot com. I personally think its kind of a not cool thing to put hid's in a halogen headlight, you are blinding EVERYONE on the road, and you're not getting anywhere near the full potential of an HID.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 AM
DCrew

@mazda3ndp,

I checked out the site you linked but don't see anything specific to 3rd gen or 2013 Durango's. I do see the projector lighting but it doesn't specify Durango. I know the RT's and Citadel's come with HID projector lenses...are you saying you can buy the same projector's for a 3rd Gen Durango that didn't come with them and make it like the R/T and Citadel's?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 AM
mazda3ndp
Professional

So here is how retrofits ounce and retrofitting works. You buy any projector from trs's website but hid kit, open your headlights modify housing for the projector, close up and install headlight in car. Or scottinaheat a great member here has a write up on what you need to do to install oem hid headlights like the rt citadel. I'm sure you can snag a set of headlights on eBay for 500-600 and then if I recall there's a drivers harness you can buy for $50 and then you need to connect 2 wires on the passenger side and your done.

The difference is, retrofitting will yield far better output of light bc you can use a better performing projector with a clear lens and option for a 35w or 50w hid kit. The trade off is, retrofitting takes time and is not the easiest thing to do. It takes time and knowledge to align projectors etc...

Buying the oem headlights will yield less output because of the mediocre projectors and the lens is dimpled to dull the output. The cost of the lights is about 500+ on eBay but this includes bulbs and ballasts all oem stuff which is far higher in quality than ANY aftermarket hid kit. They warm up faster and the install can be done by anyone with a free afternoon, maybe a friend, and some beer.

Depending on your needs 1 or the other will suite you. If your interest check hidplanet dot com, there is so much more to learn there, and understand hids. Hope I helped you, just don't slap hid bulbs into halogen headlights.. You may think your getting more output but it's going to be unevenly lit and blind everyone else on the road, as well in my opinion looks cheap, on the other hand hid projectors don't blind as bad, won't get you pulled over, look elegant and will outperform hids in a halogen headlight, and the lighting will be wider longer throwing and evenly lit.

Sorry if my sentences are slightly broken, I'm typing from an iPhone

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen HID Options?