3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?

Just curious if owners here would move on to something different. I really like this vehicle and have considered perhaps buying the last year they make it. I've driven the Jeep and it just doesn't feel as planted as the Durango, and there's not near as much room. For my needs, this car is perfect.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WannaV-8
Just curious if owners here would move on to something different. I really like this vehicle and have considered perhaps buying the last year they make it. I've driven the Jeep and it just doesn't feel as planted as the Durango, and there's not near as much room. For my needs, this car is perfect.
I asked the dealer before I ordered mine, he said they were being told it was a real possibility but not a certainty the the Durango was going away. So I chose to buy it with the knowledge that it might be the last year. Glad I did, it's a great vehicle. I think that it's popularity and sales increases will effect Chryslers decision making on this matter though.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Yes sir....

Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

i mean the main rumor was that these were taking away from precious build time they could be devoting to the much better selling grand cherokee. these are all built on the same floor in the same plant, and they have to devote a day or 2 of the week to make durangos that do not sell as well. Fingers crossed that they keep the durango, as it is a much more practical vehicle for families vs the grand cherokee. I would buy another one if i needed another.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
i mean the main rumor was that these were taking away from precious build time they could be devoting to the much better selling grand cherokee. these are all built on the same floor in the same plant, and they have to devote a day or 2 of the week to make durangos that do not sell as well. Fingers crossed that they keep the durango, as it is a much more practical vehicle for families vs the grand cherokee. I would buy another one if i needed another.
This is really a silly line of reasoning if Chrysler decided to use it. Building Durango's doesn't make it so they SELL less JGC's, it just effects lead times and operating hours.

Chrysler and Nissan were the ONLY 2 companies to NOT report a DECREASE in sales for February. Not only did the not take a step back like all others but they increased 11%.

Jeep and Ram are shining stars but the Journey, Durango and Charger are a great supporting cast right now.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Besides. Our insurance rates are some of the lowest for the Durango/ JGC/ ML/ GL in the class. Mainly because there are so many vehicles sharing parts and structure components. We should be golden for years to come.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by Wash Man
Chrysler and Nissan were the ONLY 2 companies to NOT report a DECREASE in sales for February. Not only did the not take a step back like all others but they increased 11%.

Jeep and Ram are shining stars but the Journey, Durango and Charger are a great supporting cast right now.
Automotive World web site reports "Sales of the Dodge Durango full-size SUV were up 15 percent in February compared with the same month a year ago, extending its run of year-over-year sales gains to 16-consecutive months. It was the Durango’s best February sales since 2006 [my emphasis added].

Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

I do not believe the Durango is going anywhere

When they introduced the 2014 Durango is Sept 2013 Tim Kuniskis, the President and CEO of the Dodge brand. Getting rid of Dodge, “is not a part of a master plan to consolidate brands,” the executive said during a media preview of the new 2014 Dodge Durango in suburban Los Angeles. As was reported by several news outlets including Detroit News where I found the quote.

During the Detroit Auto show, Chrysler was asked again and once again the Durango is not going away. It was during a CNBC interview.

Jeep serves a certain type of customer and Dodge a different segment. The Jeeps seem to be purchased by the high income soccer mom's as more status and grocery getter than SUV. While there are the outdoor types who love them as well and I see them often at the camp grounds I go to. There are some features that do make them great for camping.

The Durango is pretty much everyone else. For me, it is my part time work truck when I am not driving my car. It will log many miles to home improvement centers as well taking my boat to the lake. The cargo area I believe is second to none.

The original concept (and original sales campaign) for the Durango was to be the mid-size SUV. There are too many SUVs in the cars with Big wheels segment mostly for women and then the other extreme where they are full-size and literally would not fit in my garage. The small segment cannot tow and the full-size is too much. The Durango fits a nice place in the middle.

While much of the advertisements (aside from Ron Burgundy) have focused on performance, there is something to be said for being mid-sized and still have a do everything and go everywhere type of truck/car. While the R/T is the halo of the brand, I believe the V6 should get more respect than it does.

I gave my wife full rein to go look at any make or model and I would consider whatever she had chosen since she would be driving the new vehicle at least half the time with the kids -- she went to auto lots with her sister and a friend and in the end, still came home and said, lets look at another Durango.

The Ron Burgundy ads shows that Dodge/Chrysler still has an image problem that can be changed with some creative marketing. If they can show high reliability AND get a 5 star safety rating and go back to the not to big/not to small advertisements, they could have a sales leader.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Wash Man
All Star

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/search/...?max-results=5

the bar graph attached makes it very clear that the Durango is a critical part of Chryslers overall SUV numbers. Eliminating it at 1,500-2,000 units would be an argument they could make, but it is more than holding its own in the marketplace and is one of few that is steadily growing its market share.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Renink
Amateur

Originally Posted by Wash Man
but it is more than holding its own in the marketplace and is one of few that is steadily growing its market share.
Originally the Durango wasn't in my sights but I'm hoping to add to that market share soon. So my answer would be pretty obvious.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another DD knowing they will discontinue?