3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Passenger side rear taillight on 2014 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger side rear taillight on 2014 Durango

Anyone have a part #? Not looking for the big one that's on the tailgate. I'm looking for the one that goes into the right rear quarter panel. Mopar.com is slow as molasses. Wife chipped the corner off of it doing something idiotic and now I've got to fix it.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking a few months back for the drivers side part after I was backing out of a friends driveway and just caught the edge of a mailbox on the other side of the street. Scratched it up pretty good. I couldn't find it online anywhere and that mopar.com site is infuriating to use. I ended up sanding and buffing it out. Just about undetectable.

Marty

Old 06-21-2014, 03:47 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shelbyguy
I was looking a few months back for the drivers side part after I was backing out of a friends driveway and just caught the edge of a mailbox on the other side of the street. Scratched it up pretty good. I couldn't find it online anywhere and that mopar.com site is infuriating to use. I ended up sanding and buffing it out. Just about undetectable.

Marty
Buffing won't cut it. There's a nickel sized piece missing now.

Replacement is the only answer. Thankfully, it looks like that may be a diy project since it doesn't appear too difficult to replace. I just have to get the part. I'll head up to the dealership on Monday. Probably gonna cost something outrageous I'm sure. I'm so pissed. Never get married. Ever.

Last edited by mcfarl58; 06-21-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Ok found the part through my local dealership. They had to order it. Comes to $379+ tax for those wondering. Ouch. Hopefully won't be too big of a bear to replace. Appears it's just two tabs to pull on the inside and then pull it straight out using an interior panel puller to avoid scratching the rear quarter panel.

Does anyone know what I can do with the old one? Is it possible to take it into the dealer and get some money back for it? Thinking they may be able to fix it and resell it later so perhaps they can give me a little bit for it. I would hate to just throw it away as it still works, just has a chip out of it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Wow. That is a bit pricey. What part of it has the chip? The clear, red or black trim?
Maybe post a pic and some experts can chime in on possible fixes or patches.

Marty

Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Wow. That is a bit pricey. What part of it has the chip? The clear, red or black trim?
Maybe post a pic and some experts can chime in on possible fixes or patches.

Marty
Yep. That's the cost of having LED lights. They look cool, but man they aren't cheap. It's a piece of the red near the top close to the black trim. I found the red plastic chip that came off, but there's a very tiny black piece that we were not able to locate so it can't be completely put back together. Honestly, if this was a 3+ year old vehicle, I probably wouldn't even care about it as it's not terribly bad and the light still functions and is still sealed from the elements from what I can tell. The fact that it's a new vehicle though means it's getting fixed.

Here's a sample pic, not the actual one of my D. I outlined the piece that's missing.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

That's definitely fixable to the point where you can resell it on ebay as used/repaired with pictures and recoup maybe $200.00+. Is the chipped piece a section that doesn't get illuminated as the picture portrays? Makes the repair less noticeable at night when the lights are on. The red piece can be glued or epoxied back and the black can be fabricated in many different ways to the point where you'd have to look for it to see it. Just depends how much time you want to put into it. Even if you don't want to fix it, I wouldn't throw it out. You can probably list it as repairable and someone might give you $100.00+ JMO.

Marty

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

That's definitely fixable to the point where you can resell it on ebay as used/repaired with pictures and recoup maybe $200.00+. Is the chipped piece a section that doesn't get illuminated as the picture portrays? Makes the repair less noticeable at night when the lights are on. The red piece can be glued or epoxied back and the black can be fabricated in many different ways to the point where you'd have to look for it to see it. Just depends how much time you want to put into it. Even if you don't want to fix it, I wouldn't throw it out. You can probably list it as repairable and someone might give you $100.00+ JMO.

Marty
That's what I was thinking. I may even just hang onto it just in case I need to reuse it in the future. You never know right?

As far as illumination, it does illuminate, but only because of the residual light from the red LED "tubing" (my term) next to it. There's no actual light or bulb in the area that's chipped and the damage stopped right at the point where the actual illuminated part starts so, like I said, water seeping in isn't a real worry.

Quick Reply: Passenger side rear taillight on 2014 Durango