3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

First Impressions - 2014 R/T vs 2012 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 AM
46fever
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Impressions - 2014 R/T vs 2012 R/T

Just picked up our new '14 R/T . . it was probably crazy financially to trade so soon, but so far I like everything about the '14 better (except maybe the silly dial shifter).

My biggest complaint with the '12 was the transmission. I never liked the way it shifted normally, and really disliked it when towing.

The 8-speed is SO much better in normal driving. I have not towed yet, but fully expect better results.

One example of difference - -> on a section of road I travel frequently, there is a fairly steep long hill. With cruise on the '12 set to 60 mph, at about 2/3 up the hill the speed would be down to 57, the tranny would downshift (not sure what gear), rpm would go from approx 1500 to 2500, very ugly. After this hill, the road does some "roller coaster" action. The cruise control (because of the tranny) is so erratic, that I usually would set the tranny manually to 5 or even 4, during this stretch of road.

Today in the '14, cruise set to 60, going up the first hill, the speed never dropped below 60, at one it point downshifted from 8th to 7th. If I was not paying close attention, I would never have even noticed. Thru this set of hills, the speed never varied more that 1 MPH . . MUCH better.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 AM
tannman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any mpg improvements

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 46fever
Just picked up our new '14 R/T . . it was probably crazy financially to trade so soon, but so far I like everything about the '14 better (except maybe the silly dial shifter).

My biggest complaint with the '12 was the transmission. I never liked the way it shifted normally, and really disliked it when towing.

The 8-speed is SO much better in normal driving. I have not towed yet, but fully expect better results.

One example of difference - -> on a section of road I travel frequently, there is a fairly steep long hill. With cruise on the '12 set to 60 mph, at about 2/3 up the hill the speed would be down to 57, the tranny would downshift (not sure what gear), rpm would go from approx 1500 to 2500, very ugly. After this hill, the road does some "roller coaster" action. The cruise control (because of the tranny) is so erratic, that I usually would set the tranny manually to 5 or even 4, during this stretch of road.

Today in the '14, cruise set to 60, going up the first hill, the speed never dropped below 60, at one it point downshifted from 8th to 7th. If I was not paying close attention, I would never have even noticed. Thru this set of hills, the speed never varied more that 1 MPH . . MUCH better.
46fever,

Congratulations on your new Durango!

I happy to hear you've already experienced the benefits of our new 8-speed transmission!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM
46fever
Professional

I got busy and have not taken time to get back to this.

Originally Posted by tannman
Any mpg improvements?
It is tough to say for sure, but I would guess at least 1 mph. This is based on my 15 mile route to work. In the '12 sometimes I would drive sensibly, to see what it would get, and usually that was right at 20 mpg. In the '14, I have tried it twice and got a little over 21 each time. (this is still with less than 400 miles on the motor)
This 15 mile drive consists of mostly 2-lane country roads, with some small hills and curves, a couple stop signs, about .5 mile thru a small town with 3 traffic lights.

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
46fever,

Congratulations on your new Durango!

I happy to hear you've already experienced the benefits of our new 8-speed transmission!
I really like the gear "selection" of this tranny (the rpm it chooses based on conditions, and when to shift etc.), but have to admit I am not as pleased with "how" it shifts. (the transition between the gears). Especially in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, it almost feels like the computer pulls throttle while it shifts, causing a lag in acceleration. The '12 did this also. I wish they were programmed to shift a little more firmly. My car shifts a lot better, you don't feel the shifts, just see the tach drop. That is the way an auto should shift.

Overall, really like this Durango, I will report more later when I get a chance.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

AHH for the Love of TQ management...NOT
STEVE

Old 08-13-2014, 04:34 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 46fever
I got busy and have not taken time to get back to this.

It is tough to say for sure, but I would guess at least 1 mph. This is based on my 15 mile route to work. In the '12 sometimes I would drive sensibly, to see what it would get, and usually that was right at 20 mpg. In the '14, I have tried it twice and got a little over 21 each time. (this is still with less than 400 miles on the motor)
This 15 mile drive consists of mostly 2-lane country roads, with some small hills and curves, a couple stop signs, about .5 mile thru a small town with 3 traffic lights.

I really like the gear "selection" of this tranny (the rpm it chooses based on conditions, and when to shift etc.), but have to admit I am not as pleased with "how" it shifts. (the transition between the gears). Especially in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, it almost feels like the computer pulls throttle while it shifts, causing a lag in acceleration. The '12 did this also. I wish they were programmed to shift a little more firmly. My car shifts a lot better, you don't feel the shifts, just see the tach drop. That is the way an auto should shift.

Overall, really like this Durango, I will report more later when I get a chance.
46fever,

Thanks for the feedback! It's valuable to us here at Dodge as well as for the members here on the forum. Don't hesitate to post more moving forward.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM
boosted20v
Veteran

I must concur, the 8 speed is exponentially better than the semi 6 speed. it seems it's always in the right gear and when you need the passing power there is no waiting for it.

As for MPG, I'm on my second tank and am getting an indicated 16.5 miles currently. Best my 11 would display was 14.5 during my commute. I did hand calculate my first tank and it was a full MPG lower than indicated. My route is mostly highway, 26 miles in stop and go Houston traffic. I think the ECO mode has as much to do with the improved MPG's as the 8 speed does.

Lastly the truck is note-ably quicker as well which is of course a good thing.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 AM
46fever
Professional

Before I start, I have not read previous posts on the subject. (have not had the time). This will be my opinion, without common knowledge among those active in this forum.

First off, I really like our '14 Durango, the '12 was good, but I definately like the '14 better.

My impressions after 2000 miles:

Bad:
The rotary shifter - > I still do not understand the reason for this. (I tried to give it a chance) It gives no extra console space, and is a pain. In MANY years of driving, I do not recall accidentally being in the wrong position with a lever shifter, but in the past month I have missed the desired location many times. At least three times I hit "P" when I meant to go in reverse . . and at least 3 times had it in neutral when I thought it was in gear, (did not realize until revving engine to high RPM with no motion). These were all in situations where I was trying to be aware of surroundings, not looking down. Levers with detents are intuitive, rotary ***** are not. . . Rotary ***** are natural on sewing machines, not trucks.

Bad:
Paddle shifters - > who drives with hands at 10-and-2 ?? not me . . I would MUCH prefer a lever shifter in the console, so that my right elbow could sit on the console pad, my right hand on the shifter, left hand on the steering wheel. . . recently I was pulling trailer thru a hilly 20 miles. I wanted to shift manually. It was PAINFUL to drive at 10-and-2 that during that stretch.

Bad:
The 1-2 shift, and sometimes 2-3 shift. The "hesitation" is annoying. . . . Dodge -> PLEASE provide some programming that does not pull throttle between the shifts. Our 2003 Liberty shifts better.

Good:

Overall I really like the 8-speed, (other than the issues above). If it shifted firmer 1-2, and I could operate it manually via a lever console shifter, I would be extremely happy.

Fuel mileage does seem better. This is all based on the EVIC, (I am too lazy to record gallons and miles, haha) but seems to be 1-2 mpg better than the '12 in all conditions that I have been paying attention.

I like the styling better. It is subjective, but have to admit that when I see this one in parking lot, I think - > "that's nice". I like the headlights better, the fact that taillights are distinctive, and I REALLY like the hyper-black wheels.

This one seems quieter and smoother, but that may be due to the tires . . more tread, and not the Conti sport tires.

Navigation is more intuitive, ( I was always confused using the one in '12). The bigger screen, and all the controls seem better to me. The dash display is overall better, but have to admit reading the gas gauge and temp etc. seems to require some thought, rather than being obvious.

Different:

This new one has some features not on '12. I thought I would add a few comments on those.

Adaptive Cruise:
I LOVE this feature. I am one who likes to get on the road, set the cruise and steer. It can get frustrating when drivers in front of me speed up and slow down. Adaptive cruise lets me relax a little more. It does require some thinking though, a couple situations to be wary of:
- you finally decide to pass someone who is going too slow, and you are on a hill - > the computer says "oh, time to accelerate up to desired speed", it downshifts a couple gears and gives lots of throttle. (the first couple times this happened, I forgot I was in cruise, and could not figure out why the throttle was so high, even thouhg I was not even touching the pedal, haha)
- someone in front of you is going to off-ramp, starts pulling to the right and slowing down rapidly. There is no way you are going to hit them, but the computer slams on the brakes.
It has some quirks, but I really miss it when driving our other cars.

Auto-dimming high beams:
I am not so fond of this feature. It probably works good on flat ground, without a lot of curves. But where I live, it often seems to be wrong. . . Also, lights off the road, and reflectors seem to fool it. I think I am going to turn this feature off.

Vntilated Seats:
These are nice.

As mentioned before, overall I am very glad we traded up.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Definitely has much more power I feel, ALLOT more responsive. Just added the MOPAR CAI, gave it a little more kick too. Yeah I don't get the **** shifter either and never realized how much I used the stick to rest my hand when arm on arm rest until now, my freaking hand doesn't know what to do, was thinking I may just create something so it doesn't leave me one day.

Agree on the look too, front and back, looks so much classier I think, but still has the R/T meanness.

Overall extremely happy so far with everything and the boys love the DVD Players as daddy was too lazy to put one in the 12.

Cheers

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM
boosted20v
Veteran

I know what you mean about the ****. I've been in something other than what I was looking for several times! I also miss the arm rest!

Quick Reply: First Impressions - 2014 R/T vs 2012 R/T