TIPM Recall Coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIPM Recall Coming

From a very helpful insider on another forum:

"2011 WD/WK Recall - Chrysler P54 (TIPM)
FYI-

Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) announced a safety recall on all 2011 model year (WD/WK) Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee equipped with a 3.6L or 5.7L engine.
Some of the above vehicles may experience a failure in the electric fuel pump relay located within the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM-7). A vehicle with a failed fuel pump relay may intermittently or permanently:
 not start.
 not start on the first attempt.
 not stay running upon startup.
 cause the engine to stall while driving.
 cause the electric fuel pump to remain energized after vehicle shutdown.
Chrysler will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all involved vehicles to install a standalone external electric fuel pump relay.

Note: this is an announcement. This recall has not yet been launched. I'm not sure at this point of timing and the the affected vehicle list is not yet complete.
Recall Notification will be mailed to the customer's address on record.
Launched/outstanding recalls can be checked on-line using the VIN on the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep brand Web sites through the "For Owners" page.
If it is determined that the customer's vehicle is included in the recall and repairs have already been completed at the customer's expense, the recall notification will direct customers on how to submit original receipts for reimbursement.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:30 PM
adkent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good to hear. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and presented my "non-starting" issue while waiting for an oil change; they immediately suggested a problem with the TIPM and offered a $400 "work-around" (fuel-relay jumper). I subsequently called Chrysler customer care to update the case, and they stated that no recall had been issued yet (and offering no financial assistance in the matter).

I wonder if the official "fix" will be a fuel-relay jerry rig rather than an outright TIPM replacement.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only for 2011? My 2012 has had two events: one while cruising at 50mph when the engine quit and then restarted on its own as I was coasting to the shoulder, and a second event when the engine quit backing out of a parking space but restarted immediately after I turned off the key and then turned it back on.
The truck is an early 2012 model manufactured in October (?) of 2011.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:26 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by adkent

I wonder if the official "fix" will be a fuel-relay jerry rig rather than an outright TIPM replacement.
Based on this line:

"Chrysler will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all involved vehicles to install a standalone external electric fuel pump relay."

It appears that they aren't replacing the TIPM outright with a more reliable unit, which is unfortunate IMO.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Ours is in the shop for this right now. Left us stranded last night in the rain. Had it towed to a dealer 1 and 1/2 hours away from our home. Waiting for the call from the service department.

Chris

Got the call back, it is the TIPM, 963.04 installed. Service adviser is not aware of the above posted recall so I'm going to see what I can do on my end with Chrysler direct.

Chris

Last edited by BadBenz94; 09-15-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Chrysler is stating no recall(obviously its not official) so its out of our pockets for now. I hope once it is recalled they will do the mod on the TIPM to prevent future failures....

Chris

Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Fluyguy405

I'm on my 2nd TIPM on a 2012. Hasn't shutdown on me, but has experienced all the starting issues. 36K on the SUV, just bought the extended warranty to 70K. Worse case it will help sell it in 2 years...

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
Chrysler will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all involved vehicles to install a standalone external electric fuel pump relay.

I wonder is it the intent here to ONLY recall the faulty SAFETY related circuit/s and tell you so sorry when the rest of it fails? Then what are they prepared to do? Inform us the TIPMs are on backorder again? Aaaah, the circle of life!

A minor percentage of the multitude I've seen are JUST that circuit and nothing else.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-19-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

http://searchable.openedhost.com/loo...zaHRtbA==_blog

All who had an issue should file, scroll to bottom of page. this is what it took the D2 owners to get the Gas splash back /new fuel tank issue resolved. But then we all had terrible rust below the filler neck that they didn't want to hear about, claimed it was "collateral" damage.

Last edited by MIKEon22s; 09-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 PM
440sixpack
Amateur

Originally Posted by adkent
Very good to hear. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and presented my "non-starting" issue while waiting for an oil change; they immediately suggested a problem with the TIPM and offered a $400 "work-around" (fuel-relay jumper).
This is what they did to my Durango, as the starting problem was getting worse and worse. It did fix the issue at least...

Quick Reply: TIPM Recall Coming