3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Water Noise\Sloshing Sound Behind DashBoard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Chadd Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Noise\Sloshing Sound Behind DashBoard?

When I accelerate from a stop position I hear a sloshing of water behind my Dash in my 2013 Durango. Does anybody have any Ideas to what it is?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved this thread from the general Durango section the the third generation Durango section.
FF

Old 06-08-2013, 09:29 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Chadd Martin
When I accelerate from a stop position I hear a sloshing of water behind my Dash in my 2013 Durango. Does anybody have any Ideas to what it is?
It shouldn't be that easy to hear, but could be either the washer fluid tank or the radiator expansion tank. Both are under the hood. The only thing under the dash with fluid would be the heater core and if that is sloshing then you would have a plugged line and no heat. Does your heat work?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM
SS2RT
Captain

i have never heard it described exactly that way, but maybe you are hitting the TSB for rattle/squeak/vibration sound coming from dash/cluster/A-pillar vicinity

I have it too, search the forum for the recent threads.
It says fixed in mid 2012 but my late-2012 build / 2013 model def has the issue

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/333310-rattle-in-dashboard.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...=355430&page=2

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/336643-rattle-on-supposed-official-tsb.html

Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 PM
SS2RT
Captain

actual TSB In case you wanna check it out:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2302212a.pdf

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
asurdez

Same thing on my '13 RT, the day I took it in for the dealer to check it out it rained, never happened again.
Wash the tires really good, that's the fix

Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

If the noise is IN the dash or UNDER the dash I would immediately suspect a clogged drain on the A/C, preventing the condensed water from the A/C to drain out. I had a '77 Granada that collected a couple of years of dust, hair, and misc. debris that clogged the drain.
It should be fairly easy to correct: fine the drain hose, inset long stiff rod, dislodge blockage. That's it. The problem is that whatever is there is still there, except it it now up in the drain resevoir and could slip back into the drain. A permanent solution would be to remove and clean the drain pan, but that's expensive.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:49 PM
lilben1197
Default Water sloshing

I am having this same problem with my brand new 2013 Durango that is only a month old. Sometime it sounded like the water was in the dash or drivers side door. The first thing I noticed was the drivers side floor was wet. Took to the dealership and they said the AC drain line had come loose and they fixed. Took back after I continued to hear the water sloshing and it turned out the AC condensation had drained in a spot under the drivers floor. A plug was removed from under the left side of the vehicle and out came all of the water. The issue I have now is the drivers side floor and the left passenger side floor is getting wet. Now I have to make another trip to the dealership.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Tori Armstrong
Default Water noise

My 2012 Durango starting making the noise after I got my a/c fixed this summer. It sounds like it’s in the door but I don’t hear if the door is open. Did you ever figure out what it was?

Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Tori Armstrong
My 2012 Durango starting making the noise after I got my a/c fixed this summer. It sounds like it’s in the door but I don’t hear if the door is open. Did you ever figure out what it was?
Old thread but a common problem. The most common cause is gooky stuff (<---fancy technical term) which can be old leaves, grass, mouse nest, Jimmy Hoffa or what have you. This is the detritus of daily life that builds up in the screen at the base of your windshield and some can work it's way down into the heater plenum. If you look at the base of the firewall on the passenger side, you'll see a small tube, possible with a rubber flap on it. Reach down there and fiddle with it with your finger. Try not to get underneath as if there IS a water build up from condensate in it, you'll get a face full of pretty nasty water.

Now, it's possible the water is built up in your door. The water runs down the glass when it rains and drains out through little holes in the bottom. They aren't very big so if any gooky stuff (<---there's that fancy technical term again) plugs them, water will build up. Just play with a tooth pick in the holes and see if there's any water there. Water built up in the doors is not a good thing. It can rust the door out from the bottom or in winter freeze the lock and window mechanisms.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 10-01-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: Water Noise\Sloshing Sound Behind DashBoard?