DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango-154/)
-   -   Remote start or Heated Seats? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/384669-remote-start-or-heated-seats.html)

hls811 02-28-2015 11:29 AM

Remote start or Heated Seats?

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the cloth interior on my '13 SXT to leather, I've gotten a quote to do a basic or custom Katzkin install and I'm not sure whether to go with the heated seats option for $400 (both front seats) or just do a decent 3rd party remote start kit which would probably run me $200-$300)

I'm wondering which warms up faster and is more useful or should I skip both because cold leather isn't really that big of a problem.. :)

(My other option was maybe doing suede inserts instead of perforated leather but I think shade is harder to clean and wears more and thats a big reason I want to get rid of the cloth)

NJMoparDad 02-28-2015 11:46 AM

I'd say the remote start is better as the entire passenger compartment will be warm if you leave the heater on when you exit the car. You can do the same with air conditioning in the summer. I'd also see how much the factory remote start would cost. They can put it directly into a key fob, so hounding have to carry 2 fobs, and the quote for having my 2013 Ram done at the dealer was only a,little over $400.

hls811 02-28-2015 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by NJMoparDad (Post 3230174)
I'd say the remote start is better as the entire passenger compartment will be warm if you leave the heater on when you exit the car. You can do the same with air conditioning in the summer. I'd also see how much the factory remote start would cost. They can put it directly into a key fob, so hounding have to carry 2 fobs, and the quote for having my 2013 Ram done at the dealer was only a,little over $400.

wow, thats cheaper than I expected - I remember looking a while back and I thought the kit itself was like $380 - and installation would be another $200+ through the dealer. I'd definitely prefer to go factory so I didn't need 2 fobs - I was looking at remote start kits that used the smartphone just to avoid having to do that. If you don't mind me asking, what dealership did you go to? I'm also in Central Jersey.

NJMoparDad 02-28-2015 01:11 PM

I only use Dodge City in Burlington now. I don't know what the price is for the Durango because mine came with it. The new Rams have most of the components pre-wired into the truck so the price was low.

NJMoparDad 02-28-2015 01:12 PM

On a side note, I joined NJ Mopar Group this year and I'm going to try to get our area more active this year if you're interested.

harv1234 02-28-2015 08:06 PM

I'd go remote starter without hesitation if you only want it for warmth. I have a 2006 300C that my wife drives and, when she takes my Durango, it's such a pain in the butt having to go out and manually start the 300C in the AM to warm up. Note that in Toronto, we've had a February with morning temps in the minus 20C's all month long. Come warmer weather, it's not really an issue at all.

That said, if you're upgrading the seating surfaces and the heated seat option is affordable, why not go with both the remote and leather unless cost is a big factor.

As mentioned earlier, the minus with the aftermarket starter is the additional fob.

Hemibuck 03-01-2015 03:18 PM

Do both!

bbtkd 03-01-2015 04:44 PM

Having had remote starts on a number of vehicles, including the factory one on my 12 Durango Citadel, I'd advise getting more than $200-$300 basic system. Having the dealer install the factory unit would be OK, but note that features and range are very limited. Line of sight range is perhaps 250 feet in a rural environment, less in town. Another downfall is that the factory unit - and the cheaper aftermarket units - are one way. If you can't see your vehicle you can't know whether it has started.

We bought a Viper aftermarket unit for our 07 Charger, and it is rated as having a mile range. It also has two way signal, so it acknowledges when it starts. It might get a mile line of sight, but less in town. Installed cost was about $500 with the necessary security module, but well worth it. I would not advise most folks installing their own. The $100 or so you'd save is not worth the risk of damage to the vehicle. Certainly some folks like tackling this, but if you are not electronically inclined, I would advise having it installed. The installers know all the nuances of various models.

Heated seats are nice too, wouldn't do without them in the northern US.

hls811 03-01-2015 05:21 PM

I got a quote yesterday from a local dealer to install the Mopar Remote starter for $460, still waiting to hear back from one other dealership, I'm sure it'll be similar. I looked into the Viper kit too - I sorta like the idea of 2 way, but its not necessarily a deal breaker to not have it.

I'm leaning towards remote start over just the seats, as much as I'd like to do both I don't know that its worth it for one reason - the remote start won't power on the heated seats since its not all factory. So even though I'll get into a somewhat warmer car w/ the remote starter the seats will still take some time to warm up. Its probably just as easy to throw a towel down. :)

I do appreciate all the feedback - I was leaning towards the seats but I think the starter is probably the better option.

bbtkd 03-01-2015 05:28 PM

I am surprised that a Dodge dealer installed unit wouldn't be identical to factory installed unit. Do they use the factory remotes? If not, then I'd argue it is aftermarket and not worth it.