3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Vibrating Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Glarensen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating Steering Wheel

So, I have 400 miles on my 15 RT. The steering wheel vibrates slightly and quickly at any speed. Doesn't feel like a wheel thing but more engine or transmission. Am I losing it or is this an issue? Anyone else feel it? I feel like it just starting happening a day or two ago.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:11 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire balance? Was a common issue on the 14s.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Since you say it happens at any speed, I'd suspicion a bad tire. Try swapping the wheels and tires front to rear and see if the vibration in the steering wheel goes away. If so, have the tires on the rear carefully inspected for a bulge in the sidewalls or tread.

-Rod

Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Glarensen
Amateur

Could it be something with engine or transmission?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Got 44k on my 14 and have never experienced this

Old 03-09-2015, 07:53 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you want it to be an engine or transmission thing? Moving the wheels front to rear is nearly free (depending on the tools you have available versus taking it to a shop) and if it makes no difference, might point to engine and transmission. But until you or someone does a bit more diagnosis, we're all just guessing here. I prefer to start with the inexpensive and easy checks.

About the only way the engine or transmission could set up a vibration that you'd feel predominantly in the steering wheel is if the issue is with the power steering hydraulics. And now that I think about it, I haven't even checked to confirm the Durango has hydraulic power steering versus electric power steering. I would expect an issue with the hydraulic power steering could also be felt with the vehicle in park while turning the steering wheel.

Generally an engine vibration will be dependent upon engine speed, not vehicle speed. An issue with the driveline would be vehicle speed dependent, not so much engine speed dependent, but often driveline vibrations would also occur at higher vehicle speeds and not something that you'd notice below maybe 30 mph or so.

So does this vibration really happen at "any speed?" Does the vibration change with engine speed or vehicle speed, or does it remain constant? Do you notice the vibration if you turn the steering wheel while the truck is in Park and the engine running? Are you opposed to swapping the wheels front to rear and seeing if that makes a difference?

-Rod

Old 03-09-2015, 01:20 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Unfortunately Jefferson North where they build our Durango's is the only plant where tire mounting and balancing is done in house, all others get wheels and tires shipped all done. So sometimes they screw up the balancing and/or they have a bad tire situation that they are not watching for. Get it back to your dealer and have them check it out.
STEVE

Old 03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Unfortunately Jefferson North where they build our Durango's is the only plant where tire mounting and balancing is done in house, all others get wheels and tires shipped all done. So sometimes they screw up the balancing and/or they have a bad tire situation that they are not watching for. Get it back to your dealer and have them check it out.
STEVE
This is kind of what I was referring to earlier. I think in some cases, they even left spacers or something on the wheels that should have been taken off upon delivery.

OP, I'd start with the wheels and tires and work back from there. Check the tires for any bulges, check the rims (inside and out) for any dings (9/10 any vibration I've ever experienced in any of my vehicles has been due to a bent rim), then you work back from there. Dealer will do the same thing, but you could save yourself some time.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Glarensen,

Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this concern. There is a TSB based on your described symptoms: 22-001-14 REV.A. A screengrab of the TSB is attached below. Keep us posted!

Last edited by DodgeCares; 03-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 AM
JDBossHog

My MDS cuts in and out at all speeds over 20 mph. You could certainly interpret the switching of the system on as a vibration.

Quick Reply: Vibrating Steering Wheel