3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Travel Trailer towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerpil55
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will take them all in consideration. I do have an electric power brake installed when I had the dealer put the hitch on. The RV dealer is installing an anti-sway bar system when I go to pick up the trailer, I had that in the loan for the trailer. I don't plan on hauling the trailer great distances just around locally, with in 50 miles or so. What we like to do eventually is park the trailer at a park and leave it there for the season. Any other reccomendations? Thanks. I really respect everyone's opinions on this topic.
Based on that I think you should be just fine. The Hemi V8 would be better if hauling long distance or very often but then you would be paying for the added gas you really are better off with the V6. My 2103 Durango Citadel is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and that includes my Audi A6.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:22 PM
jerpil55
Default Trailer towing

Well,

Got the trailer home with no issues, engine at 24-3000 rpms most of the time, speed 55-60 in drive but it did increase when I went up a couple of steep grades to over 3500 rpms. No major problems with sway, had sway bars installed at the RV dealer, a little jerking in town over bumps but overall pretty good considering my first time towing anything with the Durango. Now, haha, my trailer tongue is stuck on my hitch. Couldn't get it off. Part of the problem is that my driveway is sloped a little so the rear of the durango is level but not the front. Going to unhitch in a level parking lot and see if that works, otherwise I'm going to try to take the hitch out of the receiver and see if that works. Welcome to the world of trailer towing I guess. Any ideas from everyone?

Old 06-20-2015, 07:28 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Chock the wheels tight on the trailer and pull forward an inch with the Durango, the ball must be to far back in the tongue.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:54 PM
jerpil55
Default trailer towing

Should I jack the tongue up or leave it level and just chock the wheels and move it forward a bit like you said? Part of my durango is on a slight slope of the driveway.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

leave it level, u just need to pull forward a little 1" the ball is all the way back in tongue, when u full forward put the emergency brake on in durango it cant roll back, Let me guess u backed the trailer up a small incline? Same issue when putting trailer on ball, have the ball forward in the tongue, to far back it will go down on the lock. Thats the problem now too much pressure on ball and lock assembly.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:15 PM
jerpil55
Default trailer hitch

DUH DUH DUH ....I finally got my trailer off the ball hitch and I feel so stupid. I didn't pull the tongue release latch back..I only pulled up on it. A friend of mine looked at it and found the way to unlatch it. As soon as he did that the tongue released from the ball. Well.....I guess an old dog can learn new tricks. I've found this to be a learning experience and I'm sure there will be more. Thanks everyone for your help and I'm sure you will be seeing more of my on these threads. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer towing