3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Trailer Tow Package IV - Questions

Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 AM
7alisman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Tow Package IV - Questions

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a 2015 5.7L Durango, primarily because I'd need the additional towing capacity. I am looking to tow a trailer in a dry weight class of 5500 lbs, combined with full propane / water tank / cargo / etc I should be in the realm of 6200-6500 lbs, which leaves me with some leeway going with the HEMI which has a 7200 lb rating. With that said, I was of the opinion that it would be logical to focus my search down to finding one that has the Trailer Tow Group IV package.

The problem I am finding, is that the information available from dealerships online isn't always reliable, there just seems to be far to much cut and pasting going on. V6's listed as V8's, the general inability to search based on the inclusion of a Trailer Tow Group etc. I read that the information should be available from a VIN decoding and as such I have been doing my searches, then cross referencing the VINs through this sites VIN Decoder.

The dodge website says the Trailer Tow Group IV package includes the following:

INCLUDED FEATURES (5):
4- and 7-pin wiring harness
Class IV hitch receiver
Full-size spare tire
Heavy-duty engine cooling
Rear load-levelling suspension

However, from cross referencing vehicles which I am sure do, and do not have the trailer tow group, I can't find these feature specifically listed as above. What I have been using to identify a vehicle with or without a tow group package has been the inclusion of the following (but I'm not sure if these two items are merely features of the R/T Trim):

- Gas-Pressurized Front Shock Absorbers and Nivomat Brand Name Rear Shock Absorbers
- Rear Auto-Leveling Suspension

I guess what I am asking is two-fold:

1) Is it even necessary to worry about the inclusion of the Trailer Tow Group IV?

and

2) If it is necessary/recommended/quality of life improvement, am I correct in my assumptions above for the proper means of identifying whether or not the vehicle does have the tow group and/or is there a better way?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 7alisman; 07-25-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in knowing the same. It's the one option I want mandatory simply because it's the one option you can't retrofit later without a lot of work. I don't plan on towing much beyond 5k lbs or so (motorcycle trailer + gear or camping stuff) but still.

The following users liked this post:
KWelkhart (12-14-2022)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM
coldsteel
Captain

PM DodgeCares the VIN - they should be able to get you a build sheet by VIN to see if the trailer tow group is there.

That's a sure way to know.

You have a significant weight to tow and you do not want an under equipped vehicle towing it.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coldsteel
PM DodgeCares the VIN - they should be able to get you a build sheet by VIN to see if the trailer tow group is there.

That's a sure way to know.

You have a significant weight to tow and you do not want an under equipped vehicle towing it.
To acquire your build sheet, please visit http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html. On the left-hand side of the page please click Equipment Listing and then follow the instructions to enter your VIN. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Correction to drop the trailing period that got captured in the hyperlink:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

Old 07-25-2016, 11:09 AM
7alisman

Thanks so much guys....

This is going to make my life so much easier!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

No factory tow package and ur towing 5000 lbs and get in a accident = not good legally, no tow package and maximum is 2000-3500

Old 07-06-2022, 04:28 PM
MamaRose
Default Retrofit a non-tow 2015 Durango with Heavy Duty Cooling?

So, we were sold a vehicle we were TOLD could tow up to 6500 lbs and bought a camper that sits right around 4000lbs. While there were plug n play capabilities for a break controller, we had to install our own trailer hitch and wiring. The dealer installed it, actually. All went well for about a year until we were pulling in the Ozark foothills and boom we started massively overheating. This makes the 2015 Dodge Durango Limited AWD (v6 3.6L) useless to us with 2/3 of the life left on the loan. (Note: the dealer said it would tow what we needed to and now, a year later, I'm pretty pissed about it since they didn't produce all the info we needed even though we admitted we weren't the most current on what we needed engine-wise.)

Can we change out the radiator or add any type of additional coolers to retrofit it to be capable of towing this load? (To clarify, we were getting coolant overheating warnings while our trans and oil remained at reasonable temps for a 100* day.)
Thanks!

Last edited by MamaRose; 07-06-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Package IV - Questions