3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Blue Smoke at Sartup

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:40 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would I be guessing correct to say the dealer is still doing your oil changes? If so, I would look into the oil level. I had the blue smoke issues with my 2011 R/T. I happen to notice that it stopped doing it after I ran out of free oil changes and started changing it myself. When I bought the vehicle I had the free oil changes and fought with the blue smoke on start up. After the free oil changes ran out and I started performing the oil changes and adding 7 quarts of oil I realized that the "ADD" mark on the dipstick is actually the 7 qt full level of the engine with the vehicle setting level and a new Mopar filter. I also realized that when it was filled with 7 quarts, and not to the "full" mark, I no longer had the blue smoke at start up. Around the time I figured this out Dodge released TSB 09-002-13 BLUE SMOKE FROM EXHAUST ON INITIAL START-UP WHEN PARKED FACING UPHILL ON AN INCLINE (5.7L). I chose not to have it done because I had alleviated the blue smoke issue and did not want to take a chance of the new oil pan leaking. A couple years later Dodge released TSB 09-010-15 (Incorrect 5.7L Engine Oil Dipstick) which I think should include the 2011 model, but it does not. Even though the dip stick shows it at the "ADD" mark, it is in fact 7 quarts. They were overfilling my engine, and I wonder if that is your issue too. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mine does it

My 2015 RT will make a puff of blue smoke on startup if it's at just the right angle. I very rarely park just the right way for it to happen. I bought it used with 30,000 miles and have seen it maybe 10 times now by 60,000 miles. I have not been too concerned since it happens so infrequently and briefly.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of oil are you/dealer using? I own a 2008 Charger, 2011 Durango, and 2016 RAM - all with the 5.7 HEMI - the blue smoke occurs because the PCV system dumps vaporized oil into the intake for emissions control. When you drive and park normally, the last of the vaporized oil collects/condenses on the runners for the intake manifold. If you park on a decline, the prior condensed oil and the freshly condensing oil amounts to enough to dribble off the runner and into the valve area. When you come along and start the vehicle, that 'puddle' of liquid oil is ingested into the cylinder and is burned off and released as blue smoke through the exhaust. I have a catch can on my Charger (which produced smoke) and not on my other two. We used to back into our inclined driveway and the Durango would produce the blue cloud too.

This has all gotten better now that I use full synthetic oils (less vaporization and collection in the intake) and I also don't have to park on the decline any more. I bet if you start using a better oil, do your own changes, and make sure that only 7 qts of oil are in the engine, you will be able to eliminate this from occurring. It is only cosmetic, but I understand it looks like your $40k vehicle is a hooptie.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 PM
fledda

Originally Posted by GotRPM
From the OP: "I have brought it to the attention of the dealer and they are saying it is normal." I hate it when they say that. How to convince them it is not normal?
How much of an incline? How much blue smoke is seen? Did the OP stand behind the vehicle and see smoke pouring out? Does it happen every time it it parked on the incline?

My R/T never did this, but I seldom parked on a "steep" incline. My 6.4 did this occasionally - very occasionally - when it was new but it wasn't a "lot" of smoke and it stopped after 5000 miles.. It may not be normal but it may not be a bad thing either. Pooling of oil in the intake is the probable cause...or not. Try a different dealer.

How much of an incline? How much blue smoke is seen? - from street level is about 20 - 25 degrees
Did the OP stand behind the vehicle and see smoke pouring out? - No I was not standing behind the vehicle. I saw the smoke coming out while looking at the side mirrors
Does it happen every time it it parked on the incline? - It only happens when it is parked at an incline facing forward. It does not happen if it parked at an incline facing the street which is what I have been doing. Additionally it happens if is parked for an extended period of time (over 4-5 hours).

I should point out that prior to the Durango I had a Chrysler Aspen with the 5.7L Hemi and it never emitted smoke ever and no matter how it was parked. So I think it is not normal.

I have a good relationship with the dealer and they have asked me to bring the Durango back once I have reached 3,000 miles. To you point, maybe it will stop just like what you experienced.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 PM
fledda

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
Would I be guessing correct to say the dealer is still doing your oil changes? If so, I would look into the oil level. I had the blue smoke issues with my 2011 R/T. I happen to notice that it stopped doing it after I ran out of free oil changes and started changing it myself. When I bought the vehicle I had the free oil changes and fought with the blue smoke on start up. After the free oil changes ran out and I started performing the oil changes and adding 7 quarts of oil I realized that the "ADD" mark on the dipstick is actually the 7 qt full level of the engine with the vehicle setting level and a new Mopar filter. I also realized that when it was filled with 7 quarts, and not to the "full" mark, I no longer had the blue smoke at start up. Around the time I figured this out Dodge released TSB 09-002-13 BLUE SMOKE FROM EXHAUST ON INITIAL START-UP WHEN PARKED FACING UPHILL ON AN INCLINE (5.7L). I chose not to have it done because I had alleviated the blue smoke issue and did not want to take a chance of the new oil pan leaking. A couple years later Dodge released TSB 09-010-15 (Incorrect 5.7L Engine Oil Dipstick) which I think should include the 2011 model, but it does not. Even though the dip stick shows it at the "ADD" mark, it is in fact 7 quarts. They were overfilling my engine, and I wonder if that is your issue too. Good luck.
Thanks for this info. This could be the problem. I will check that TSB.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:07 PM
fledda

Originally Posted by coldsteel
What kind of oil are you/dealer using? I own a 2008 Charger, 2011 Durango, and 2016 RAM - all with the 5.7 HEMI - the blue smoke occurs because the PCV system dumps vaporized oil into the intake for emissions control. When you drive and park normally, the last of the vaporized oil collects/condenses on the runners for the intake manifold. If you park on a decline, the prior condensed oil and the freshly condensing oil amounts to enough to dribble off the runner and into the valve area. When you come along and start the vehicle, that 'puddle' of liquid oil is ingested into the cylinder and is burned off and released as blue smoke through the exhaust. I have a catch can on my Charger (which produced smoke) and not on my other two. We used to back into our inclined driveway and the Durango would produce the blue cloud too.

This has all gotten better now that I use full synthetic oils (less vaporization and collection in the intake) and I also don't have to park on the decline any more. I bet if you start using a better oil, do your own changes, and make sure that only 7 qts of oil are in the engine, you will be able to eliminate this from occurring. It is only cosmetic, but I understand it looks like your $40k vehicle is a hooptie.
Thanks for the info. Since it has only 1800 miles now, I have not had an oil change yet. As in my previous post, when I reach 3000 miles, I am going back to the dealer for an oil change and go from there. As far as the $40K vehicle, it is a bit more as it is fully loaded. At this point, I am not too worried yet as warranty will cover it if the engine breaks additionally I want to make sure that the problem is recorded such that if the warranty expires and the engine breaks I have something to go back to as reference.

Last edited by fledda; 10-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM
cheryl51
Default Blue smoke

I did have the 2014 R/T that would engulf me in a cloud of blue smoke. I posted here on this site. I was very lucky, my service manager said it wasn't normal and bent over backward to have it fixed. Dodge paid for a rental to use while they had it, about 2 weeks. I was very happy with the outcome. Long story short, had to have 2 new heads installed, there was an issue with the heads per the service manager.
Can't figure out what the big deal is for the dealers. They get reimbursed from Dodge for the warranty work.
I really loved that Hemi, but sadly I didn't have the confidence that it wouldn't or couldn't happen again, so I sold it. Now I have the G/T, 6 cyl and love it.
Can even live with the AFM turn on/off option, which I hate by the way.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM
fledda

Originally Posted by cheryl51
I did have the 2014 R/T that would engulf me in a cloud of blue smoke. I posted here on this site. I was very lucky, my service manager said it wasn't normal and bent over backward to have it fixed. Dodge paid for a rental to use while they had it, about 2 weeks. I was very happy with the outcome. Long story short, had to have 2 new heads installed, there was an issue with the heads per the service manager.
Can't figure out what the big deal is for the dealers. They get reimbursed from Dodge for the warranty work.
I really loved that Hemi, but sadly I didn't have the confidence that it wouldn't or couldn't happen again, so I sold it. Now I have the G/T, 6 cyl and love it.
Can even live with the AFM turn on/off option, which I hate by the way.
Hi thanks for the reply. I am not sure if we have the same problem because it only happens when it is parked for an extended period of time at an incline facing forward and only at startup and then it goes away. It does not happen if it is parked at an incline facing down.

In you case was there blue smoke all the time and never went away?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 AM
cheryl51

Only on EVERY cold start up. I have a small incline going into my garage where it parked (outside). Did notice that we had to check the oil out in our street where it was flat, if we didn't, it read it was a least a quart low. Service manager said dip stick was too short.... Compared it to the 6 cyl Durango's and found this issue.
If I had driven somewhere and turned off, like going into a store, it did not engulf at startup since it was already warmed up.

He told me he had a few big Ram trucks that did the same thing. Can't understand how they can get the Hemi Challengers right but not the Durango's or some big trucks. Husband has had 3 Hemi Challengers, no issues what so ever.
He thinks the blades were worn and needed to be replaced when they were boring the holes, which would cause a slight bit of a gap, just enough to cause the issue.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the HEMI and the v6 very likely have different dipsticks so why did he compare them? (i will gladly retract this statement if you can show the part numbers to be the same)

also which holes does he think were bored too large?