Unbiased 2014+ owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 AM
gabrahams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbiased 2014+ owners

hi guys... new here and I’m in the market for a 2014+ Durango R/T

I have a concern though..

When I tell people my vehicle of choice, they give me the same old crap about them being unreliable and love to be in the shop more than on the road..

for those of you that own/owned a 2014+ R/T, are they really as bad as I’ve been told? I love the look and feel of them, but I don’t really want a car that’s gonna give me a headache, no matter how good looking they are. Would you say they’re no worse than any other car on the road or are they a little more temperamental as far as reliability goes.....

thanks for reading!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What kind of crap are you hearing? I've had several SUVs and, up until about 4 years ago, always considered myself a Ford guy. I frequent Ford forums as well (an am even a moderator on 3 Ford forums), but I currently drive a 2014 Ram 1500 and my wife just bought a 2014 Durango R/T based on prior experience with the 2011 Durango Crew Hemi that I had before the Ram.

My 2011 Durango had 96k miles on the odometer when I traded it in on the Ram and the only expenses I had on it were tires. I wish I could say the same for some of my prior SUV purchases. Granted I didn't put all 96k miles on it, but from what I could tell from looking it over, everything major was still original (including the cooling system hoses). I only traded that Durango in because I was towing a long travel trailer (30') and the Durango didn't feel as stable at highway speeds, especially on a windy day.

I've had the Ram almost 1 year now and currently have no concerns with it. It has the Hemi and 8 speed transmission which is what the 2014 Durango R/T has as well.

-Rod

Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

The only chronic issues I've ever had with my 2015 Citadel and even now my 2018 R/T is the seat memory/auto exit feature keeps failing for some unknown reason.

Beyond that, I had to replace the HVAC blower (had to do that on my old 2012 Crew too) and the drivers' side cooled seat fan motor on our Citadel at ~25k miles last Summer.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a new 2012 V6 AWD crew, which i drove 60,000 miles and then traded for a used 2015 RT to get the newer tranny and V8 (bought with 30k, now up to 65k). Both have been good vehicles. The 2012 was in for major warranty work - cylinder heads - which was covered under warranty.

The 2015 had a water pump fail around 50k which was covered by the powertrain warranty to my surprise. Minor stuff such as worn out tailgate support and a gas door remote open problem were also repaired at no cost, and the gas door was actually out of warranty when they covered it.

For reference, our other vehicle that we have owned since new is an 08 Honda Odyssey. I'm not brand loyal, I buy what I like. My wife and I have owned a Jetta, Mada 626 (2 of em, a 91GT and a 1997 which sucked) Nissan Maxima... you get the idea. I would say the Durango is one of the best driving vehicles I have ever owned. The fit and finish really is not up there with the Honda and Nissan I owned previously though. The interior doesn't hold up as well, and the paint is not glass smooth. But overall it's been a GREAT vehicle to own and I'm pretty happy.

Also, the dealer support has been good. The service department at my local Dodge dealer is shabby looking, but the people are good. Compare that to the local HOnda dealer, which has a service area that looks amazing, but when I brought back a failed battery that they installed, they would not honor their warranty. (100 month battery failed to start the van after 48 month)

So, take the horror stories with a grain of salt. Every make has them. Some models are better than others. This is one of the good ones.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM
EliteDodge
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input here. I was just looking at an MDX, which has impressive reviews and amazing resale value. But, with the stress of driving my 30 year old Porsche with timing belt risk for an interference engine, and their looks, i just don't think I can do it. My end game is an inexpensive challenger for me, but looking to get a newer suv for my wife. For me, a great car last far beyond 100k miles. My expedition just clocked 167k, we did all but 19k, and has only had minor issues. 'Will keep researching here.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:29 PM
n10ss1
Amateur

I've had mine since April 25 2014. Passenger side front wheel hub replaced(2014), water pump replaced(2015). No issues other than that. I'm at 160k miles. Change the oil when you're suppose to.

Quick Reply: Unbiased 2014+ owners