Issues with Trans dropping out of Gear in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issues with Trans dropping out of Gear in Reverse

EDIT: I have a 2015 DD R/T

Has anyone experienced an issue with the GEN 3 DD transmission dropping out of gear? I've had the transmission dropping out of gear while trying to reverse twice yesterday. I put the vehicle dial shifter into R - Reverse. Go to accelerate - there is a large thunk, I stop moving, and the front display and dial flashes. I put in back in P - park, and try again - same issues. I put it back in P-Park and everything works fine. In another incident about a month ago: I put it in R - Reverse and back out of my driveway into street. I put it in D - Drive and apply the accelerator - and the engine revs up but I do not move - the display and dial flash. Put in P- Park, and try again - same issue. Had to wave on another car behind me. After trying a second time everything worked. i"ve had vehicle for 2+ years (purchased used) and only recently experienced this issue. I searched this forum, and Car complaints. Seems like others have had issues with their Trans - but it was thunking between downshifts. Supposedly it was fixed with a PCM update. I recently had my vehicle PCM updated due to two Recalls recently.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks

EDIT: This is the recent recall I spoke about above:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/...8v332000.shtml

Last edited by oharag; 09-24-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Visit the NHTSA website. Since you mention a rotary gear selector I assume you have a 2014 or later (would be nice if people add their year and model in the "signature" field). There are many complaints about trans shifting out of gear.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/D...URANGO/SUV/4WD

Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by DDCREW
Visit the NHTSA website. Since you mention a rotary gear selector I assume you have a 2014 or later (would be nice if people add their year and model in the "signature" field). There are many complaints about trans shifting out of gear.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/D...URANGO/SUV/4WD

Thanks for response. I added my year and model to the body of my message. Can't seem to edit the Subject Line.

I looked at the website. Read many rollback issues while in Park. Couldn't find anything specific to failure to engage in reverse or drive.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:20 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a long shot, but you aren't opening the door a bit while reversing are you, or shifting into gear as you get in before the door is closed? I sometimes open my door while backing my camper into a tight spot (to stick my head out and look back) and since getting the recall on the shifter done that will take it out of gear.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by wi-steve
This may be a long shot, but you aren't opening the door a bit while reversing are you, or shifting into gear as you get in before the door is closed? I sometimes open my door while backing my camper into a tight spot (to stick my head out and look back) and since getting the recall on the shifter done that will take it out of gear.
No all doors closed.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:01 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having downshifting issue in my 2015 R/T, just had new trans installed and issue still happening, and there are no open recalls. When coming to a stop the truck downshifts hard and the whole truck jerks. Happens often but not all the time. Any insight here??

Quick Reply: Issues with Trans dropping out of Gear in Reverse