3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 Crew inner backup lamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 AM
fishtrail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Crew inner backup lamps

I recently noticed that I can't get my rear lamps located on the lift gate to illuminate.
It's the lamps/bulbs in the yellow circles shown in the photo below:

They are referred to as "inner backup lamps" based on the parts diagrams.
I've tried with the brakes on, vehicle in reverse, etc., but they won't illuminate.
Fuse looks good.
The white reverse lights on the outer tail lamps do illuminate on reverse.

Can anyone confirm these lamps should illuminate on "reverse"?

I assume they should since they are called "backup lamps", but just want to make sure.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Have you turned the lights on? Only ask because you only mention trying brakes and reverse. Otherwise you might check the wiring inside the loom going from the body to the liftgate. I know on the Journeys, these wires inside there have a habit of becoming brittle/frayed from the constant bending from opening and closing the liftgate.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 AM
fishtrail

Thanks.
Yeah I checked with all combination of lights; no dice.
I didn't check the wires in the loom. Maybe stepping out of my comfort zone here, but I'll take a peek.

I know there's a range sensor on the transmission that could also impact the reverse signal.
However since the outer backup lamps work in reverse it's not clear to me if the sensor can be ruled out.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM
fishtrail

The good news... It's just the bulbs. I figured that wouldn't be the case since all 4 bulbs are out, but I replaced one and it illuminates now with 'running lights' on.

The bad news... It's pretty much impossible to get the lower lift gate trim panel off the interior without breaking it (after some age = brittle) to access those lamps/bulbs.
Dealer quoted me about $330 parts/labor to replace that trim panel, but I can get the parts delivered to my door for about $140. The adventure continues.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:36 PM
fishtrail

Let me also add that I find the language used to refer to these "lamps" inconsistent (the ones circled in my initial post's photo).

In my manual under the "Replacement bulbs" they are called "Rear Liftgate Tail Lamps".
However on the OEM part websites they are called "LAMP-BACKUP" and in the service manual "BACKUP LAMP".

Quick Reply: 2013 Crew inner backup lamps