DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango-154/)
-   -   95K maintenance items for towing (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/422910-95k-maintenance-items-for-towing.html)

fishtrail 04-23-2019 10:33 AM

95K maintenance items for towing

I recently picked up a 2013 Durango AWD with the 5.7 V8 Hemi.
The vehicle has about 96K miles on it and does have the factory tow package.
I'm going to be towing a TT (about 4,500lbs loaded) with it so I'm making a list of maintenance items I should get checked.
I already have new tires, brake controller installed, etc..

This is what I have so far in terms of maintenance items to consider:
- Transmission filter + fluid
- Spark plug check/replacement
- Parking brake adjustment
- Transfer Case fluid change??

Does anyone have comments on that list?? Am I missing others, or are some of these not really needed?

Thanks

jkeaton 04-23-2019 10:55 AM

Check the owners manual for recommended maintenance and catch up on all that you don't have proof that has been completed.

HeyYou 04-23-2019 10:57 AM

And use the fluids they recommend for towing applications. :D

fishtrail 04-23-2019 11:28 AM

Thanks.

The list I made above is basically from the manual, but sometimes I question the necessity of some items.
That's why I was asking here for some "hands on" advice (vs. just going by the manual).

jkeaton 04-23-2019 12:37 PM

Check your brakes since you are towing.

HeyYou 04-23-2019 05:59 PM

I would also be tempted to do the differentials, if you don't know the last time they were done.....

fishtrail 04-24-2019 05:07 PM

Yeah the differentials and transfer case are the 2 I'm questioning right now.
I have it scheduled for the tranny filter/fluid, spark plugs and parking brake adjustment... Will be around $700 from the dealer.
I'll ask the tech what they think about the TC + differentials, though I suspect they'll recommend replacing fluids :)

I've heard some people say to leave the differentials because you always end up with leaks even with a new seals, but personally I have no idea.

HeyYou 04-24-2019 07:50 PM

If they are just changing fluid, it shouldn't be a problem. If you develop leaks later...... well, address it as necessary.

I've done more diff fluid changes than I would really care to count...... and I don't have a problem with them leaking afterwards.

fishtrail 04-25-2019 08:14 AM

Thanks for the advice on the diff leaking...

Does anyone have advice as to how often the diff fluid should be changed? I'm not seeing it in the manual so maybe it's just "as needed".

For the TC fluid, the manual says it's not needed until 192K... If anyone disagrees with this out of experience please let me know.

HeyYou 04-25-2019 08:21 AM

Pull the fill plug out of the t-case, see what fluid level looks like, and if it's still pretty and pink.

You are pushing close to 100K miles though... I think I would change it just on general principles.