Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:03 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMIslide
Quick question here...I have the 3815 (not discussing the 3865), running the performance tune, w/ MDS 'off.' There are times when the truck will launch from a dead stop and other times, well, I feel like I riding with Mom.

I understand there are other mods to be had, but just wondering about the consistency (or inconsistency) I see? I love the smoothness in shifting here with the tuner, but would like to understand the difference 'off the line.' Is there anything specific I should look at w/ the tuner, like a setting to make it more consistent? I have had it in tow/etc, and it seems to do the same thing as well. Just wondering....Thanks.

-slide
You could be getting some knock retard somewhere in your rpms...the pcm will pull timing and then gradually add it back in. So if you launch hard one run and get KR then your next run could suffer. Unfortunately only the diablosport can remove timing/add fuel so your best bet is to use higher octane fuel or a lower octane tune.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
You could be getting some knock retard somewhere in your rpms...the pcm will pull timing and then gradually add it back in. So if you launch hard one run and get KR then your next run could suffer. Unfortunately only the diablosport can remove timing/add fuel so your best bet is to use higher octane fuel or a lower octane tune.
Thanks...Running 93 on the 91 Tune, so, I guess I will I have to play with which tune is more consistent.

-slide

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM
aallaei81

I installed a superchip and it was awesome...These trucks have so much power waiting to be unleashed!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Jason D
Veteran

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
You could be getting some knock retard somewhere in your rpms...the pcm will pull timing and then gradually add it back in. So if you launch hard one run and get KR then your next run could suffer. Unfortunately only the diablosport can remove timing/add fuel so your best bet is .........

Are you saying with the diablo you would possibly have less of these inconsistency's?

How much does a diablo cost? Anyone know where to pick one up at a good price? I might be interested in getting one just to see if it is any better than the Superchips Cortex is. I am less than impressed with my Cortex performance wise..............but it does shut the MDS off.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Jason D
Veteran

One more question does anyone know if it is possible that superchips could have just came up with a slightly diffrent tune for each PCM code they run against? Maby some model trucks that my have had an guy write code for his truck on a Monday morning all hung over. As compared to a diffrent year/model/or whatever my have gotten a well rested tech having a much better day to spend just that few extra seconds to possible see something better than that said guy in a hurry or not realy caring all that much trying to push things through for the sake of getting it done?

Only reason I ask is because when I got my tuner Superchips had to write something for my truck because it was newer and they had yet to see the "code" or whatever its called in my PCM. Took them like a week and a half before I could update my tuner and even instal anything on the truck.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason D
Are you saying with the diablo you would possibly have less of these inconsistency's?

How much does a diablo cost? Anyone know where to pick one up at a good price?
I know where you can get one. PM me if interested.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

the inconsistencies are thereon my truck too, and were there beforere the SC. I don't think knock retard hasa anything to do with it. are YOU launching consistently?? 10 hp wont make much of a difference on a launch. is the trans cold/warm? how bout the engine?

i would hold off on getting rid of a tuner right now since SC is releasing some new stuff. see how that is before u fork out some $ for the DSP.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Jason D
Veteran

I am not getting rid of the Cortex, just going to get the Diablo and see if there is a diffrence in the two. The make a decision which one to keep.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 AM
gish71
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jason D
One more question does anyone know if it is possible that superchips could have just came up with a slightly diffrent tune for each PCM code they run against? Maby some model trucks that my have had an guy write code for his truck on a Monday morning all hung over. As compared to a diffrent year/model/or whatever my have gotten a well rested tech having a much better day to spend just that few extra seconds to possible see something better than that said guy in a hurry or not realy caring all that much trying to push things through for the sake of getting it done?

Only reason I ask is because when I got my tuner Superchips had to write something for my truck because it was newer and they had yet to see the "code" or whatever its called in my PCM. Took them like a week and a half before I could update my tuner and even instal anything on the truck.

My '07 4.7's TCM (and prob PCM for that matter) is different to say the least. It took Superchips many months to figure out why it wouldnt work (and when I say wouldnt work, I mean nothing. NO tuning for the trans at all). But some hard work by the SC engineer and it was eventually figured out. I guess ANY model could have a slight difference that could make it perform differently.
A short quote from the SC engineer....................
"The DCX engineers decided to use a different “code” base on this particular platform versus the others. Why?
I do not know. Maybe they were a different crew who wrote this code."

Old 07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HEMIslide
Thanks...Running 93 on the 91 Tune, so, I guess I will I have to play with which tune is more consistent.

-slide
Yea if you're running 93 on a 91 tune KR isn't your problem...unless there's something wrong with your engine making it run lean as hell. Maybe your clutch fan is dragging more once in awhile....sticking brake caliper? Just throwing out ideas.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates