DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram FAQs, DIYs & How To's (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-faqs-diys-and-how-to-s-133/)
-   -   Spark Plugs (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-faqs-diys-and-how-to-s/222703-spark-plugs.html)

08HEMI1500 07-11-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2 (Post 3041025)
QUOTE I don't understand why this still comes up. Just save yourself the money and time and get 16 copper Champion or NGK plugs. It's pretty simple fellas

It probably comes up because it does not save you time when you have to change them every 30,000 miles.Save Money, yes but definately not time or work. And some people realize that these engines will run on a number of different plugs and run perfectly. This Champion copper wives tale is exactly that, and also the ridiculous 30,000 mile change period. Got 60,000 miles right now on a set of autolite double platinums and still running perfectly, so no one is going to convince me that other plugs wont run in a hemi truck. Really it's not even saving you money, considering you're going through two to three sets of Chumpions compared to my one set of Autolite Double platinums

At least I'll have peace of mind if I use what the engineers at Dodge figured were the best and most cost effective plugs for my truck. For most people's driving habits 30k is an eternity so its not a big deal if I have to pay 30 bucks every 2-3 years. And the coppers are not a wives tale, they truly are the best/ most cost effective plugs for our trucks. I have never seen a thread where people complained about their copper plugs but I've seen plenty about people running platinum's.

Old man with a Hemi2 07-12-2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500 (Post 3045575)
At least I'll have peace of mind if I use what the engineers at Dodge figured were the best and most cost effective plugs for my truck. For most people's driving habits 30k is an eternity so its not a big deal if I have to pay 30 bucks every 2-3 years. And the coppers are not a wives tale, they truly are the best/ most cost effective plugs for our trucks. I have never seen a thread where people complained about their copper plugs but I've seen plenty about people running platinum's.

Wow 08, I cant believe you put that much faith onto a company that will reap the profits of non-mechanically inclined customers. If copper plugs are the best, then why have other engineers developed other plugs, and use platinum probably 4-1 over coppers. Seems to me if the coppers were so good, there would have been no need for any other plugs to even EXIST.
I will have my peace of mind knowing that I wasn't suckered into the , the HEMI will only run properly on copper plugs, changed at 30,000 mile intervals,old wives tale. I know you are a student and an officer candidate but you need to think outside of the box every once in a while, and not just be a by the book, and only by the book man.

Think for yourself once in a while. I seriously doubt you have ever even run any plugs but COPPER in your truck, but you will come on here and preach, your opinion without even knowing for sure what your preaching is truthful, or factual, but based upon what someone here has written that just so happens to believe in the same things as you believe. You don't hear me say, Don't use Coppers,:icon_banhim: because I have and yes they do run OK, but I know other plugs also run just fine. If someone is having trouble with platinums, they have other issues going on because my truck is living proof that a hemi will run on them just fine

dozer5454 07-22-2013 07:50 PM

I put the E3's in my 04 4.8L and I can't seem the get the eco milage to go over 12.9. I took out the OEM's because the truck has just over 100,000 miles on it. They were old and worn but work better than the new ones I just put in. I think for my engine at least, the OEM will be my choice for the future.

Old man with a Hemi2 07-23-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dozer5454 (Post 3049932)
I put the E3's in my 04 4.8L and I can't seem the get the eco milage to go over 12.9. I took out the OEM's because the truck has just over 100,000 miles on it. They were old and worn but work better than the new ones I just put in. I think for my engine at least, the OEM will be my choice for the future.

E3's have had trouble in other engines, so your not alone. I run autolite double platinums with good results

08HEMI1500 07-23-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2 (Post 3045960)
Wow 08, I cant believe you put that much faith onto a company that will reap the profits of non-mechanically inclined customers. If copper plugs are the best, then why have other engineers developed other plugs, and use platinum probably 4-1 over coppers. Seems to me if the coppers were so good, there would have been no need for any other plugs to even EXIST.
I will have my peace of mind knowing that I wasn't suckered into the , the HEMI will only run properly on copper plugs, changed at 30,000 mile intervals,old wives tale. I know you are a student and an officer candidate but you need to think outside of the box every once in a while, and not just be a by the book, and only by the book man.

Think for yourself once in a while. I seriously doubt you have ever even run any plugs but COPPER in your truck, but you will come on here and preach, your opinion without even knowing for sure what your preaching is truthful, or factual, but based upon what someone here has written that just so happens to believe in the same things as you believe. You don't hear me say, Don't use Coppers,:icon_banhim: because I have and yes they do run OK, but I know other plugs also run just fine. If someone is having trouble with platinums, they have other issues going on because my truck is living proof that a hemi will run on them just fine

And you're just about the only person I've ever seen on here or in real life who has a Ram or Hemi that has run successfully on anything other then coppers for a long time with no issues. I'll admit I'm probably going overboard by saying they're the BEST plug for our truck. But for the average person who comes on here for quick advice there is no need to tell them to go spending double or triple what they need to on plugs that will work the exact same (best case scenario) as the coppers. Albeit they may last longer but as you can see around here the coppers last pretty damn long as well. I'm just trying to offer people the best bang for their buck and have the peace of mind of not having to worry about if the new, fancy spark plug they bought is going to give them problems. Do some coppers cause problems? Yea, I'm sure they do. But no where near as much as the platinums and iridiums have caused in our trucks/engines.

Also, you're right that I've never used anything other then coppers in my truck. I'm also only on my second set of plugs since I'm only at 43k but I don't intend to ever use anything other then coppers because I can't afford to risk it financially (being a student as you mentioned) to try and run a plug that has known to cause issues in my engine and is recommended against by about 98% of people on here or have a similar truck to mine. Sometimes you gotta go with the pack in order to be safe.

Old man with a Hemi2 07-24-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500 (Post 3050502)
And you're just about the only person I've ever seen on here or in real life who has a Ram or Hemi that has run successfully on anything other then coppers for a long time with no issues. I'll admit I'm probably going overboard by saying they're the BEST plug for our truck. But for the average person who comes on here for quick advice there is no need to tell them to go spending double or triple what they need to on plugs that will work the exact same (best case scenario) as the coppers. Albeit they may last longer but as you can see around here the coppers last pretty damn long as well. I'm just trying to offer people the best bang for their buck and have the peace of mind of not having to worry about if the new, fancy spark plug they bought is going to give them problems. Do some coppers cause problems? Yea, I'm sure they do. But no where near as much as the platinums and iridiums have caused in our trucks/engines.

Also, you're right that I've never used anything other then coppers in my truck. I'm also only on my second set of plugs since I'm only at 43k but I don't intend to ever use anything other then coppers because I can't afford to risk it financially (being a student as you mentioned) to try and run a plug that has known to cause issues in my engine and is recommended against by about 98% of people on here or have a similar truck to mine. Sometimes you gotta go with the pack in order to be safe.

There have been many posts on here from other people that run plugs other than copper, and also many posts on here from people who have run many miles past the 30,000 mile recommended change point, with all types of plugs, you just don't want to admit it. I don't know many people who want to change plugs at 30,000 miles, because its a tough job on a hemi, and isn't it rather strange that many other V-8 engines made in the last 15 or so years have 100,000 mile recommended changes, and as much as you want to think the hemi of today is special and need treated with kidd gloves, it just isn't true. This engine is no different in requirements than most other V-8 engines made. I now have 60,000 miles on this set of PLATINUMS and I think I'm gonna leave them in there forever, or until they fail, just to see how far plugs in these engines REALLY will go before needing changed. I'll let you know how much time and money you wasted changing every 30,000 miles, since I know you'll be interested

08HEMI1500 07-24-2013 07:32 PM

2 hours of my life and 30 bucks every 2-3 years. I think I'm ok with that but thanks.

Old man with a Hemi2 07-24-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500 (Post 3051062)
2 hours of my life and 30 bucks every 2-3 years. I think I'm ok with that but thanks.

When your 61 years old, tell me how good it feels to be laying in the engine compartment changing plugs, and most people rack up 30,000 miles much faster than you do. I'm retired now, but when I was working I drove 30,000 every 18 months

dodge dude94 07-24-2013 08:43 PM

I'm 18 (going on 19) and hate changing the plugs on my Ram. lol

But I've only done that twice (second time because I wanted a different plug).

Old man with a Hemi2 07-26-2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dodge dude94 (Post 3051093)
I'm 18 (going on 19) and hate changing the plugs on my Ram. lol

But I've only done that twice (second time because I wanted a different plug).

You know dodge dude, copper plugs have been around forever. They were all you could buy when I was YOUR age. The newer platinum and iridium plugs came about when manufacturers went to high energy ignition systems, which is also what the hemis have on them. I don't understand what 08 Hemi is talking about when he says the new plugs are trouble in hemi engines. Lets face it they either spark or they don't, and if they don't then it's either a bad plug, which you can also get with coppers, or it's because there is a problem somewhere else in the ignition system. Blaming a spark plug for all the problems that may be occurring is like blaming a condom that you've put a hole in, for an unwanted pregnancy. If anyones hemi wont run on platinums, it's because they also have other issues. My coppers from the factory were changed at 50,000 miles and now have 110,000 miles and 60,000 miles on Platinums, so to me it doesn't look like we need any one kind of plug to make hemi engines run satisfactorily. How is your truck running with whatever you put in it