3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Starting lift install today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Knuckles1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Starting lift install today!!!

Today is my trucks big day! I'm pretty nervous about it but I am most definitely ready to install my Rancho 4" suspension lift. I am doing it all by myself, well with a few buddies but no mechanics. I expect the project to last a couple days, I'm guessing 16 hours of work which is double the suggested time it should it take but not being 100% mechanically inclined and not ever having done this before, I think 16 hours is a good goal.

I took a lot of adivce from different folks and and completely prepared for doing this. Through out my research process I was annoyed that I could not find a video that ran through the install process or at least showed some parts of the install process for the Rancho 4" lift on a 04' Dodge, so my plan is to record the whole install and post it on YouTube for other DIYers to refer to. Pre and post pictures will be posted as soon as it's done. WISH ME LUCK!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish I had thought to document mine, but I did it over two years before joining this forum.

I had done quite a few body lifts and levels of various kinds but never a true suspension lift before this one. I did have the benefit of having a hunting buddy up home whose dad owns a tire/repair shop, so we started it after they closed saturday and had all of sunday to use the shop, hydraulic lift. Didn't even have to use my own air tools.

The guy who helped me had done a couple of suspension lifts on Jeeps so I had a pretty good head start over you.

It took us about 12 hours but that was with leaving for a couple of meals, numerous beer breaks and a few times stopping to jaw with buddies who stopped by from time to time to see how we were coming along. I'd say actually work time was probably about 8-9 hours. But working in the shop on a lift cut a good bit of time. I'd say giving yourself 16 hours is probably about right.

Good luck, PM me if you run into any problems...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Five.SevenRAM
Veteran

man thats awesome! i wish i had a 4" lift to install but i have to get some cash saved up for sure. good luck and i cant wait to see the pics when its all done.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
JDG103
Veteran

hey bro good luck and yeah take pics for sure

Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important tool you can have is your brain, just be safe, use jack stands instead of leaving it on your jack up device. Beer breaks are important, just not too many of them. Good luck and will be checking back for those pics.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
JDG103
Veteran

just chiming in to see whats the status on your install...let us know how its goin post some pics if you have some

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Well we're finished for the day. Didn't get started until about 5:30 this evening and finished up at 9:00. Not to bad so far. The damn torsion bars are a b***h!!! Broke the damn handle on a C clamp trying to crank it up to remove the D pin. Only part of the removal we have left is the suspension on the front driver side. After we finish removing that in the A.M. we will be ready to install the lift which to my understanding is the easiest part of the whole process. It has been a big learning curve for me and my buddies. It is things like this that we love doing. Who needs mechanics when you can do it yourself?!? I took some picture but can't find my cord to upload them so hopefully I can find that tomorrow so I can provide you all with some entertainment. I didn't take money as when doing this process it isn't really in the forefront of my mind, but I'll try to be better at it tomorrow. Oh and my video camera got a jackstand dropped on it so no install video like I was hoping to do :\

Oh and now that I think about it the one problem I am having right now is trying to remove the hub from the steering knuckles. I noticed bearings inside the hub so I am afraid to beat on it too hard and mess something up. Looking at it, it seems like the hub is pressed onto the steering knuckle which is probably why it is so hard to get off. Any suggestions on how to remove the hub from the steering knuckle? It might not even be called the hub so to give you a better idea it is the damn thing with the 5 lug bolts on it that is currently attached to the steering knuckle. If all else fails I figured I can just take it into the local tire center and they can take care of it for me but that is a last resort, I love doing these things by myself if I can.

EDIT: Yes the steering knuckle is removed from the truck, it is currently resting on the garage floor and yes the 3 bolts have been removed but no the hub is not coming out. It won't even budge when I do hit it and like I said I don't want to hit it much harder then I have because I noticed the bearings inside and would hate to have to buy a new hub because of my stupidity.

Last edited by Knuckles1988; 05-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
JDG103
Veteran

Removin the hub from the knuckle is easy all you have to do is get a pickle fork and remove the ball joints and tie rod from the knuckle and then you need a 36mm socket i belive and remove the nut holding the cv axle to the knuckle then the whole knuckle and hub assembly comes off then youll see the 3 bolts to remove the hub and blamm you got it done

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Knuckles1988
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDG103
Removin the hub from the knuckle is easy all you have to do is get a pickle fork and remove the ball joints and tie rod from the knuckle and then you need a 36mm socket i belive and remove the nut holding the cv axle to the knuckle then the whole knuckle and hub assembly comes off then youll see the 3 bolts to remove the hub and blamm you got it done
Oh how I wish you were right. I've gotten that far. The knuckle is detached from the truck, the 3 bolts have been removed and the hub is still seated into the knuckle. So apparently it's not so blamm

Quick Reply: Starting lift install today!!!