3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2wd upper ball joints

Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 PM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd upper ball joints

There's a discrepancy between information on the topic of pressing in and out 2wd upper ball joints on this forum and others.

Some say you can press them in and out some say you need to buy the whole control arm with the ball joint already installed. So I was the guinea pig and here are the facts.

I have large tires and do ball joints frequently. Up until now I've always just replaced the whole upper arm but I thought I would try and save a few bucks and just press out the ball joints.

So I picked up some moog ball joints confirmed with multiple part stores the part number. I am sure this is the correct part.

Pressed out the old joints- suprisingly easy. Maybe 25% of the forcing effort needed to press out lower joints.

Then time for the new joints to go in....and it went in wayyy to easy! With just a small tap of a hammer on the stud it would come back out, and the only thing holding it on was the snap ring.

So it looks like they aren't compatible with being pressed in and out. This was all moog stuff I don't know about mopar. The scary thing is the one side was a bit tighter and looked normal. Anyone could think it was a job well done and then it pops out on the road.

Anyways this applies to a specific group of ram owners but hopefully I can save someone's day like the one I just wasted!!

S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2wd upper ball joints