DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech-147/)
-   -   De-icer wiper fluid (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/277230-de-icer-wiper-fluid.html)

ckapp 01-23-2011 02:23 AM

De-icer wiper fluid

Anybody use this stuff? My ex gf swears by it but when i check online i get mixed reviews. stuff like "doesn't work" and "gradual paint damage" are some of what i find. I got a pair of the rainx wipers that are supposed to resist ice, plus when i park i'm going to start leaving the wipers elevated so they won't freeze in place. 'course there is always the old tarp over the glass trick for those really bad mornings. which methods do you prefer?

gordie580 01-23-2011 08:42 AM

Some De-icers do work.. Prestone is an ok de-icer, The stuff I use is Green, I think it is called Bug juice and that protects up to -25 below. The wiper thing is ok for not having the wipers freeze in place. Depending how cold it is. The rubber can still freeze with the moisure that is still there. I know around here when it gets over -30, a few of us use a peice of carpet that way it will take all the mosiure away from the wipers not to freeze.

fedexgnd 01-23-2011 11:36 AM

Actually the Green stuff "bug Juice" is good for only 32 degrees above zero. I know first hand. I forgot to switch out in fall and it froze solid. it does work great in summer (it has ammonia in it)

The Orange stuff from rainx is great in winter. rated to -32 below

pitbull24 01-23-2011 12:37 PM

I use the Prestone spray on de-icer; you can somewhat control over spray. Haven't read the warning label recently, but again you're not spraying this driving down the road. Works great in the driveway.

gordie580 01-23-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by fedexgnd (Post 2391560)
Actually the Green stuff "bug Juice" is good for only 32 degrees above zero. I know first hand. I forgot to switch out in fall and it froze solid. it does work great in summer (it has ammonia in it)

The Orange stuff from rainx is great in winter. rated to -32 below

good catch... I use Mr clean De-icer... and bug juice in the summer... they are both green Mr. Clean stuff has yet to freeze up on me in North dakota yet
Mrclean. window cleaner and de-icer

glass3222 01-23-2011 07:52 PM

I use the orange stuff from rainx and have not had it freeze yet this year with temps in the single digits here in pa

ckapp 01-24-2011 03:30 AM

I think i'll grab a bottle of the spray-on stuff, since my washer reservoir is nearly full anyway. My concern with the washer de-icer is that the sprayers on the hood will freeze over and i wouldn't be able to use when it is needed

stenerson 01-24-2011 11:41 AM

I'm using Prestone this year but not impressed. Will go back to using RainX.

dodgeboy1979 01-24-2011 01:28 PM

get a bottle of rainX and put it on your windo direct this also helps with the freezing and clearing of windows.