3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

PIAA Headlight Performance - Short Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PIAA Headlight Performance - Short Lifespan

I figured I'd share this with everyone...

Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 8:57 PM
To: 'service@piaa-usa.com'
Subject: 4 Months Service???
Importance: High

Hi there..

I would like to share my disgust at the performance of your over-priced lamps you are currently selling under the PIAA name.

I recently (4 months ago) replaced my lights on my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 to increase our visibility on our very dangerous stretch of highway in Northern Alberta. After browsing the local parts store, I decided to give your PIAA Xtreme white bulbs a try. I’ve been disgusted by their performance overall. I am forced to utilize my off-road lights mounted at grill height to see details at a safe distance at highway speed. I’ve always held PIAA in high regard as a recognizable name in off-road lighting; however my opinion is severely swayed towards the negative in light of the performance of these bulbs.

What has prompted me to write you regarding their performance is their sudden lack of interest in showing up for duty. Again, they have only been in service for ~4 months and I already have 1 low beam that has failed. 4 Months Service Life? After considerable research online I’m finding that this is accepted as normal (read: Expected) performance for these bulbs. I do not run DRL’s due to the strain it places on the bulbs trying to get the best possible lifespan out of them.

I honestly do not know if PIAA cares to address this issue but tomorrow I will be shopping to replace these sub-par bulbs with something that will perform and last.

Should I cross PIAA off my list?

<Real Name Removed>
Fort McMurray, AB

Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great email. Post their reply if and when you get one.

But thanks for the write up. I was going to give PIAA a try (both Xtreme White bulbs for my fogs and a set of driving lights for rear facing work lights). However I'll scratch them off the list now and stick with Silverstars for forward facing and somebody else for rear facing.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick update.. PIAA has advised me to return the bulbs to the retailer for assessment and they will see if they will waranty them. I've purchased another set from a different dealer to see if they perform any better. I figure at worst, if I need to take them back every 4 months, I should be able to go back and forth between 2 sets for a while.. kinda sad.

Quick Reply: PIAA Headlight Performance - Short Lifespan