3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2007 Ram 2500 Quadcab 5.7 'magnum' EZA engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Turtlezed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Ram 2500 Quadcab 5.7 'magnum' EZA engine

looking through the chassis No' on vin decoder of a truck I'm looking into buying, I found the letter D in position 8 ( magnum 5.7 gasoline v8 EZA code)and expected to see a 2 which wouldve been 5.7 multi displacement engine EZB engine code (mds?)....i thought all of the 5.7's after 2006 had mds fitted? i thought it was gonna make running the truck a little lighter on the wallet but Im reading some people hate it...what is a magnum 5.7 EZA spec engine? without mds fitted?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I didn't think it made it into trucks until 09?

Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Turtlezed

HeyYou, dunno if we're on the same page on this...i was assuming it was an earlier version of the 5.7 having an A instead of B engine code despite the mds system rolling out on this model year? the 'magnum' range of engines are earlier manifestations of a different engine, i think ive read?, so i dont know why it is known by that moniker.......anybody?
i have read plenty info on sites saying the majority of drivers dont like it , so maybe its a good thing it hasnt got it fitted, if indeed thats what this engine code denotes.....i would have liked to test drive one at least with a loaded trailer behind it just to see for myself if i could live with that engine. What about an LPG conversion?, have people converted any of these 5.7's to LPG?....is there anybody out there with something to add to this before i write this pickup off as a contender? thanks for the input :¬)

Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a search. I recall someone on here years ago doing LPG, but don't remember who or much about it. I just remember that it was attempted.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Turtlezed

@Chet Ubetcha searched but couldn't find anything...Guess you guys over there in the USA aren't big on LPG conversions? I've got a message to a local converter for a price for this vehicle, just need to nail down that engine code EZA (5.7 Hemi without MDS??)instead of EZB (5.7 Hemi with MDS)
Diesel vehicles are slowly being forced out of the door so to speak here in the UK.
London has a low emission zone already and an Ultra low emission zone planned.more cities are going to follow and adopt the same policies which is the thin end of the wedge for oil burners everywhere. The VW scandal has put diesel into focus and they are coming after it all guns a blazing. There are levies and big zone entry charges to take your diesel into the city even if its a Euro 6 compliant vehicle. Petrols (gasoline to you guys) don't seem to be getting hammered like the diesels are and its only going to get worse (or should that read better, for the environment, but bad for your favourite oil burner). it will only be a matter of time before the petrol cars/pickups get the same attention and we will all be riding bicycles if they get their way.Ironic since the Chinese are giving up bikes for cars eh? what goes around......
Anybody any idea about that EZA engine code??
thanks for reading this.:¬)

Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Turtlezed

Finally found a sentence on WIKIPEDIA that sums it up...i think...under 2009 revisions it says all HD versions of the 5.7 do not have the MDS .....i think i read that somewhere said by somebody else but it escapes me where i read it ...2500 5.7's dont have MDS....it sounds logical...probably a blessing and make it easier to lpg convert hopefully (less complicated)
if that was you out there and you said it , please feel free to drop me a line here to put me out of my misery and nail this down for good.....
thanks for all the input guys :¬)

Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Turtlezed
Finally found a sentence on WIKIPEDIA that sums it up...i think...under 2009 revisions it says all HD versions of the 5.7 do not have the MDS .....i think i read that somewhere said by somebody else but it escapes me where i read it ...2500 5.7's dont have MDS....it sounds logical...probably a blessing and make it easier to lpg convert hopefully (less complicated)
if that was you out there and you said it , please feel free to drop me a line here to put me out of my misery and nail this down for good.....
thanks for all the input guys :¬)
2006 and above 1500s have MDS. 2500s don't have MDS until 2010 when the new body style hit. We aren't big on LPG conversions in the states. Dodge even tried to sell a LPG engine in the trucks in the 90s with little success.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
2006 and above 1500s have MDS. 2500s don't have MDS until 2010 when the new body style hit. We aren't big on LPG conversions in the states. Dodge even tried to sell a LPG engine in the trucks in the 90s with little success.
2500's didn't get MDS until the introduction of the 6.4 truck engine for 2014MY. The eagle 5.7 in HD application was not equipped with MDS.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram 2500 Quadcab 5.7 'magnum' EZA engine