3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

torn between custom CAI and Brand Name CAI

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Solid_Crimson28
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn between custom CAI and Brand Name CAI

Ok i could prob make one but time is an issue here. I work all day and have kids. so finding time to make one is the problem. But If i decide to just buy a CAI... what would you guys recommend? i wanna get the best gains possible.

Another question is... would i see the same gains if I made one?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to see any gains, although they are going to be minimum, you want to induct the coldest air possible, whether it be from the fender or even better, from the front where air is rammed in. Maybe from a fog light hole or another place by the bumper. I see your truck is a 4x4 so you might not want to suck the air from too low of a spot as you might need to cross water or a mud pit in your off-road travels.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

DIY and route it to get as much air as you can.

If you must buy then by one from weedahoe or look into the Varraram. BFI if you can score one used.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Also take a peak at this thread. 22 pages w/ a poll.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2622093

Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Solid_Crimson28
Professional

here is what i am leaning towards... i am either going to custom build me one and run towards the passenger head light. or I am going to go with the K&N model for my truck (57-1529). The only thing that is keeping me from custom building one is i would have to come up with some kind of housing to go around the filter to keep it from getting real wet and stuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Solid_Crimson28
Professional

i meant to say the K&N or the Spectre is the brands that i am thinking of.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Solid_Crimson28
Professional

ok its either gonna be the K&N or the home made. But I have two questions and i will leave the forum alone for now. Which K&N would be better? (55 or 77) actually what is the difference?

the Homemade seems pretty straight forward to rig up... but I am wondering about the sensors. I know i have to drill a hole and silicone them in ... but do i have to do anything else?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the one with the chrome tubing, some say it holds more heat, but I've measured the temp at the IAT between mine and one I made for someone and there was only a 4 degree difference. Not enough to matter IMO. Yeah I know, I have a store bought myself and have made at least 15 for others. But I bought mine in '05, way before I knew how to make them. It'll be custom soon, as I'm gonna cut my hood and front of my scoop and re-route it to the scoop, freeing up the passenger side so I can get my 2nd battery out from under the toolbox.

The chrome tube does echo the noise of the EGR opening and closing. If you gotta go K&N, go plastic tube.

I don't like the Spectre filters, myself. We did some real low tech testing and found they didn't filter well.

If you are gonna spend the $ on a K&N, then spend a little more and get the Vararam, it's a true CAI and will show considerably more gains. But you gotta beware, it gets a LOT of outside air, but it draws it very low. I can't have one because I hunt in the swamps and I'd draw in water.

Many of the ebay ones break, I've brazed broken brackets tubes for guys and then finally ended up re-building out of PVC.

IMO go true CAI or just make your own. The gains between a $25 home-made and a $275 store-bought are negligible...

Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If you want one that sits high in the engine bay, and still performs great, look into the aFe Hemi "high breather" I had one on mine for years and loved it, then I wanted a little more and grabbed the vararam and really enjoy it (althoughit is quite a bit quieter) the gains are definite there with it IF you have the mods to make it worth the coin.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Solid_Crimson28
Professional

Im a poor southern boy... so vararam is out of the question. So I reckon I want to know which will I see more gains out of .... the custom or the k&n??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torn between custom CAI and Brand Name CAI