3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil drain plug wrench size and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:27 PM
James Creech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a real answer

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
13mm is what you need
thx for being a actual answer instead of a bs tangent lol

Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Wicked Bradley
Default 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 oil drain plug, everyone saying it's a 13 mm socket....nope !

Y different sizes being talked about,aren't all Dodge's oil drain plugs the same size?and if not y.... The only socket that seems to fit is a 17 mm I'm scared to go through with it cuz I don't want to strip it and I want to get it back on!! Plz help ,exact size socket for oil drain plug.........?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Bradley
Y different sizes being talked about,aren't all Dodge's oil drain plugs the same size?and if not y.... The only socket that seems to fit is a 17 mm I'm scared to go through with it cuz I don't want to strip it and I want to get it back on!! Plz help ,exact size socket for oil drain plug.........?
Use a six point socket of the correct size, if 17mm goes on there, and isn't sloppy, there ya go. It's a drain plug, not rocket science.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by James Creech
thx for being a actual answer instead of a bs tangent lol
That was your response to a 4yr old thread why exactly lol?

Originally Posted by Wicked Bradley
Definitely should NOT be a 17mm...unless someone replaced it with something else at some point in it's life. 1/2" and 13mm are pretty much the same size and is what the OEM plug is.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Use a six point socket of the correct size, if 17mm goes on there, and isn't sloppy, there ya go. It's a drain plug, not rocket science.
As he said, don't overthink it. Use what works and doesn't round off or destroy the plug.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM
tony_blanco
Default Testify! PREACH ON BRUTHA!

Originally Posted by maillists
I appreciate this very short, very correct answer.

I just wish there were less NON-Answers to a very simple specific question.

(Why people who don't have the answer think it's their job to make it more difficult to find the answer by posting incorrect info, I'll never know.)
I don't even know how old this thread is, but you are not bull****tin! That goes for about anything I've ever looked up n had to read through forums. AMEN! HALLELUJAH! AND #SOMEBODYSHUTTHESESTUPIDMOTHER****ERSUP-PLEASE

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug wrench size and...