3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What programmer to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
BOTH tuners have the option to disable MDS.
Diablo has some trans tuning built in. Partial upshifts, BUT it lacks Partial downshifts which is the biggest benefit of the transmission tuning. You would need to have a custom tune to alter the Partial downshifts which makes it a limited feature.
There's lots of other features not discussed such as 0-60, 1/8th ETAs, datalogging..etc
You can pull Chrysler specific DTC codes that a standard handheld cannot.
Lots of good stuff with these tuners. WELL worth the expense if your into that sorta stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with a SC tuner. It's the user not knowing how and what to adjust that is the problem. Provide a handheld that can do everything and people will start blowing things up. It's just what happens. Everyone thinks they know what they are doing.
Superchips trans tune has safety features to prevent any cross patterns in shifting.
I think the problem your referring to was when they FIRST came out, there was hard clunk on 2nd and 3rd downshifts which had nothing to do with the advanced trans tuning. That was with their standard programmed tune. That was right after Beta testing finished. That's been corrected and is old news.

Diablo doesn't offer partial downshifts via handheld, so to me, it has less user function. Stock engine crowd need not to worry about fuel trim and timing as that should be for engine modification and knowing what your doing anyways, so the Diablo does not have more useful features to average tuner crowd than SC. The otherway around. I've had both.

When you need customized tuning. Diablo is the only way.
I've been wanting to buy a SC but after reading this thread I think I will just wait. Reason being is because I would rather just buy a cam for $400 bucks instead of buying a new tuner when I already have one.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Is your truck a 1997???? says so in your side profile. so im assuming it is. Personally i wouldnt bother with any programmers. on a 97. SC trans tunes wont work for you anyways

Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a 97, either a 3715 or 3815 for canned tunes or an SCT for custom. No trans tunes for that year regardless.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Bosox93
Amateur

Originally Posted by Got_Mitch
Is your truck a 1997???? says so in your side profile. so im assuming it is. Personally i wouldnt bother with any programmers. on a 97. SC trans tunes wont work for you anyways
The 97 ram was my last truck, I have a 08 ram now, I just don't know how to change that in my profile.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Bosox93
Amateur

I found and bought a used SC 3865 tuner for $245, I'm really looking forward to see what it can do for my truck.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosox93
I found and bought a used SC 3865 tuner for $245, I'm really looking forward to see what it can do for my truck.
Just keep in mind, you have to load a tune into your truck, Then you have to hook it up to your computer to buy the Advanced trans tune if you planned on utilizing that feature. The trans tune feature is an extra cost and cannot be transferred from one vehicle to the next which is why you have to have your truck vin loaded into your tuner before downloading it off their website.
I think it's $40

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Originally Posted by Bosox93
The 97 ram was my last truck, I have a 08 ram now, I just don't know how to change that in my profile.
There should be to edit profile info. top left says User CP. looks like your control panel. If not click on your name, on the top right, in Bold Red.
Edit thru there.

Well Since you have an 08. Its pretty easy for me to say Superchips, I have a 08 hemi. And I also have an android Cellphone for i purchased the VIVID. Way better then the old handheld tuner products. Can leave it on while driving to view stats, and other neat info. Look at it on there website.

I left MDS and i just run the 87 tune. The flex-a-lite 193 Efan, and the SC vivid was the best things ive done to my truck.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
mbehr55
Amateur

Any recommendations for an 05 with a Hemi and auto?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
If you have a 97, either a 3715 or 3815 for canned tunes or an SCT for custom. No trans tunes for that year regardless.
I'm still running an SC 3815. For a while SC was the only game in town for 07s. Lots of good advice in this thread. As for choice, it really depends upon what you want to do. My SC does okay still, even though I've installed HO cams and a Magnaflow muffler.

HemiFever is who I was going to recommend you seek for writing tunes; he's got a good rep. If/when I buy a Diablo, he's who'll be writing mine.

@ mber55, any of these mentioned above should be fine. It really depends upon how much tuning/adjustment you want to have.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

As for the '97 model, SCT has some trans tuning for that.

For the '05 Hemi, I'd recommend Diablo

Quick Reply: What programmer to get?