3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi tune up time

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Rio94gt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi tune up time

Well my 2008 Hemi just clicked 40K and from all the research ive been doing on here, my usual oil change/new air filter maintence schedule I was used to wont cut it for this truck. I bought the truck w/ 17K on it and knew the owner so I knew it was due for spark plugs and front/rear differential fluid change by now. Truck was running poorly and mileage had been on a steady decline as well.

Today I got up and got to wrenching. The plugs were up first. For you guys out there that are skeptical about doing this yourself, it sucked but wasnt impossible. The rear 4 plugs on the drivers side and the rear 2 on the passenger side were horrible. The rest werent so bad. The tricky ones took the right combination of extensions/body positioning haha. Some wobble heads definately helped.

Next up was the flithy/nasty throttle body. Some non-chlorinated brake cleaner shined it right up. Also wiped the intake as best I could.

My air filter for my Vararam intake was pretty dirty so I hit that up with a filter cleaner kit. The AIT sensor was pretty dirty so I cleaned that. Also adjusted the intake tubes for a better and straighter fit.

I didnt get any codes but I went ahead and replaced my EGR while I was in there. It was pretty gummed up as well.

Lastly I fed the hemi 7 quarts of royal purple with a royal purple filter.

This all took my a good 8 hours but I took my time and had to make a run to the parts store. I would let you know how it runs now but I feel like I was beat with a 2x4 and didnt feel like taking it for a ride. I hope to get some power back and improve the mileage. I reset the PCM as well.

I have phase 2 ready to go. 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-90 and 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-140.

Phase 3 is sitting here waiting as well. Flex-a-lite 183 efan and a Jet 180 stat.

I almost have all the parts for phase 4 but that will be; 2 powerslot rotors for the front, EBC Green stuff pads for the front and rear, 2 new tie rod ends, and 4 Bilstein 5100s.

All that should keep the Hemi happy for another 40K, improve mileage, and add a few ponies

Last edited by Rio94gt; 03-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
07Chuck
Rookie
Default Good piece of mind

I just did mostly the same thing, it's a good feeling to have everything mint.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Don't forget about your transfer case, power steering, and transmission as well. With the exception of the nv246 all of these take ATF+4 and now is the perfect time to change those and get on a good maintenance schedule. If you can tackle the diff oil change then you should have no problem with these other three tasks. Glad to hear you're doing the right things to make sure your truck stays running problem free for a long time.

Last edited by Dudemanbrother; 03-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

I definately wont forget about that stuff. I was going to have the tranny flushed and filled with new fluid once all this is done and I get some more cashflow. I definately want to keep up on this truck. I like it so much and plan on keeping it for a while. A good PM schedule will help avoid those costly repairs.

So far the truck runs much better with the new plugs and such. Much less throttle to get going. Idle is perfect. Gonna give the mileage a tank of gas or two before I see how much if any improvement. I do alot of city driving so I am hoping that the efan helps some there.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Yeah e fan will help with city for sure. Doesn't do much on the highway because you already have ample airflow at higher speeds. You can expect a 1 to 2 mpg improvement I've heard. I just installed mine on Saturday so I haven't had a chance to do a mileage calc and see for myself yet.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tune up and diff change

What kind of plugs did you use? my friend has a set of bosch plat plugs that he is gonna give me, save me a lil cash on that. Also, I am looking to do my diff fluid as well, I want to go with royal purple as well. Isnt there an addative you have put in there too?

Is this what I need for front and rear? 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-90 and 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-140.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
What kind of plugs did you use? my friend has a set of bosch plat plugs that he is gonna give me, save me a lil cash on that. Also, I am looking to do my diff fluid as well, I want to go with royal purple as well. Isnt there an addative you have put in there too?

Is this what I need for front and rear? 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-90 and 3 quarts of royal purple 75w-140.
I would take those platinum plugs and throw them straight in the trash. If you want to save cash go get the Champion cooper plugs which are best for our trucks and cost about 30 bucks for all 16

Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, throw those Bosch away before you even get them. Use either Champion copper or NGK copper V-Power plugs. I like the NGK's myself.

As for the tranny service, it isn't needed until 60K.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by RamedHemi

If you do as Hemi and Lx suggests and throw the bosch plugs away, throw them my way, cause I've run Platinums for 58,000 miles with no issues whatsoever, and still have great performance. Those guys can change their plugs every 30,000 miles if they want to, but not me. Some people on here seem to think their truck is going to quit running if they don't use those cheap Champions, and believe me they will run just as good and longer than the copper originals. I have 108,000 miles on my 06 hemi with one spark plug change and went to platinums. Like I've said on here before, if your having trouble with plugs other than copper, you have some issue other than spark plugs

Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard horror stories about Dodge Rams and using non Mopar Rear Diff and Transmission Fluids.

Something about friction additives but it's all good.

Quick Reply: Hemi tune up time