3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.9 Magnum Oil Level Rising?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Greasy24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum Oil Level Rising?

So i recently ran into a problem, i added 5 gallons of bad gas to my truck and then started having problems with it running correctly. So i filled up with premium but then noticed my oil level was rising. I have changed the oil once and found it to be possibly gas, its not water my water has been fine and not moved. What im wondering is how would gas be getting into the oil at a noticable rate. I drove 20 miles and it went up quite a bit.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

define: bad gas... are you speaking of dirty gas? as in particulates? or, stale gas...

dirty gas w/ particulates can cause (and likely will) an injector to hang open.. a hung injector will flood a cylinder and wash past the rings, into the crankcase.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Yeah. That.

Listen to what he tells you.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

Apparently it had a bit of diesel and i would imagine it had dirt in it. When i looked at it and smelled it looked good and smelled good. How do i find a stuck injector, either that or the unburned fuel is staying in the cylinders.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put your finger on an injector... you'll feel a definite 'click' while the engine is running.. if you do, move to the next one... if one feels duller than another, there is your huckleberry...

to definitively prove, though, put a scanner on your rig and look at fuel trim and lambda readings... observe long term fuel trim, and short term- looking for two digit alterations..

remember, which is something i learned the hard way, what % represented in LTFT or STFT is what the computer is doing to adjust- NOT a status report of conditions.. so, if you read -10% for instance, your computer is trimming fuel to compensate for rich conditions.. if it is a positive %, it is dumping fuel to adjust for lean conditions..

if your rig is a cali rig, you have four o2 sensors to monitor, and it's easier because you can identify at least which bank is screwing up- whereas a federal machine only has two o2 sensors, and you can't tell what bank it is.. this is an issue sometimes, because one stuck injector can cause one pig rich cylinder, and the PCM adjusts for that and doing so leans the other 7 (three on a cali rig) out... oops..

easiest thing to do is the feel method.. if you find a mushy 'click', reference the lambda readings to verify...

for what it's worth, it's likely a good idea to pull all the injectors and have them cleaned anyway since you ran bad fuel.. it only takes a day or two if you ship them out, and doesn't cost that much.. maybe $50 for cleaning and benching.. and it only takes maybe an hour to uninstall and reinstall injectors on those things.. just make sure and get NEW o-rings.. do not try to reuse the ones on there..

Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

Thanks i really appriciate the help those where awsome directions, im gonna take a look when i get off work today.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Greasy24
Veteran

Update I looked at my truck yesterday and couldnt find a stuck injector or any cylinders that where wet with fuel. Spark plugs look brand new I just replaced them not to long ago.I changed my oil and drove it around for a little bit and noticed a raise in oil again but I don't think it was as bad as the other times. So I will check more over the weekend.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum Oil Level Rising?